Wiring up my TPI (From '89 FFB) Any input Knuckle Dragger?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Penix, Oct 15, 2007.

1. Penix

Penix Veteran Member

I have the stock harness and it was working fine when it came off of the donor car, so I'd like to reuse it if possible. Where's the best location for the ECM? I'd like to do this without removing the dash if possible.

As for the fans, well as many of you know I recently purchased the dual fan setup from a 95 LT1 Camaro, but I'm not sure if I want to wire this directly to my stock ECM (if this is even possible) or if I want to use an aftermarket controller. My car does not have A/C though the donor car did. What should I do here?

Location wise, are there any sensors I need to put in any specific locations?

Ah, and before I forget, how would I go about wiring up a 3-wire O2 sensor?

Yes, I've read the e-book that's on here about this, but I's really like additional input.

Thanks Guys!

Joel

PS: Here's a pic of those fans for those who haven't seen :)

[​IMG]

2. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I had the Lt1 fans in mine for a while. The car would get a little warm, and overheat with the a/c on. I have had much better results with the Crown Vic Fan. I use the ECM to control the fan, both speeds. Of course I used a relay, not directly controlled.

I had the ECM up under the dash, above the glove box, sitting on a shelf I made to sit on the heater box. With the dash swap It's now under the console. You shouldn't have to pull the dash. Just fish the harness through. You're going to need to drill a hole in the firewall.

All my sensors are in the stock locations except the IAT. I moved that forward into the air cleaner. I cheated and had a custom engine control harness made from http://www.jimsperformance.com/ . The O2 should be easy enough to make a three wire. The purple will be the signal back to the ECM, you will just need to add a power and ground. This is OBD I system so the ECM dose not monitor the heater circuit so it can be stand alone.

3. 71 Z27 LS3

71 Z27 LS3 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I lengthened the harness to mount the ECM behind my seat. There is an adapter harness for the heated O2, from Jims performance. Also Stealth conversions has many parts such as an easy to wire VSS, which is absolutely necessary. Without a functioning speed sensor the car will stall every time you come to a stop. I learned the hard way when I converted my tow vehicle a 79 GMC K35 to TPI. But it was well worth it.

4. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Knuckle Dragger....thanks for the link to Jim's Performance...I may need his help before my TPI swap is over.

5. Knuckle Dragger

You'll be pleased with is product/work. :cool:

6. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dave, I've been poking around on his site..I like what I see.

7. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a '165 MAF ECM in my 77, mated to a Holley Stealth ram setup. I am running a 3 wire O2. I used a Painless harness and would not recommend trying to hack a factory 3rd gen harness. Not worth re using crusty old wires that will be the wrong length, when you can buy a brand new, already labeled full harness and just plug and go. It was worth the $300 or whatever I paid for it, to have everything already figured out.

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Agreed on that. Considering that the "newest" thirdgen is now 16 years old.

9. Knuckle Dragger

I paid less than that for a custom made harness from Jim's ;)

10. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

less?.. man, I'm gonna hafta check that out. Last I shopped around, it was 2-3 times that much for the harness. I'd REALLY like to start working on EFI for the POS.