Wiring up my TPI (From '89 FFB) Any input Knuckle Dragger?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Penix, Oct 15, 2007.

1. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

So what's stoppin' ya?

2. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

uh, have you seen my car?.... Not much of anything gettin' done on her!

I'm thinking that I wanna get paint and interior in it before I start messing with engines/inductions/etc again.

Besides, TPI would be very cool.. but I'd really like to go LSx engine route...
    There's never an end to my madness.

Hell, I'm entertaining going DIESEL!... Mwahahahaha

3. POS71RS

Another reason is that I'd like to EFI my current SBC, but I'm afraid of TPI being a little small on there... and by the time I go with larger runners, injectors, intake, etc.. then the affordability shoots out the window.

I also have superchargers, a Procharger I've never used, and the ol 177 I had on there before. And if I EFI, I'd have a hell of a time EFI'ing those setups...

The most intriguing to me has been the Megasquirt setups... But I'd have to really sit down and figure out how I'd set it all up, and brush up on my EFI knowledge.. or all that I forgot since H.S.

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

There's nothing that says you HAVE to run the TPI manifold. Look at mine, my manifold is nothing like a TPI.

5. POS71RS

like I said though, then it starts getting pricey again.

I think what would be ideal for me would be a TBI style throttle body on a regular intake, with Procharger feeding the throttle body, with injectors bunged into the intake runners. I think the only way to feasibly run that would probably be Megasquirt, since I think supercharging would go outside of the factory computer realm.

6. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Not at all. People run Vortech's and Paxton's on third gen's all the time using factory electronic equipment.

But granted, if you're supercharging the engine, then the argument between port EFI vs TB EFI almost doesn't make any difference at that point.

7. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hey Mike, explain why you say this if you have the time. I'm wanting the education as to why and how.

8. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

It's somewhat of an intuitive conclusion on my part... no real data I have to back up what I'm saying. So take it with a grain of salt.

In my thinking, in a NA setup, the multi-port fuel injection setup has the advantage of not having to carry fuel down the intake runners based on the sucking power of a given cylinder on it's intake stroke (the injector sprays the fuel right into the intake port in the cylinder head). With a carb or TBI setup, you worry about low engine-speed situations (i.e. low air velocity and low volumetric efficiency) where fuel can drop out of suspension and collect on manifold port walls essentially becoming wasted. We all know that at high speeds where VE is much higher, that carbs and EFI are at parity on horsepower (often times the carb will outrun the EFI due to manifold design being more suited to high-rpm).

But with a pressurized manifold, it seems to me that you can have high VE at any engine speed (with boost on), so the concern about fuel remaning vaporized in the air stream at low engine speeds goes away.

Though, I suppose that the multi-port EFI will still give POS the advantage in part-throttle non-boost situations.

9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That vortec boosted EFI sounds like fun to me....so you're saying that the factory electronics will keep up with the metering even in a boosted situation?...cool, another option for future upgrades....now I'm just wondering about whether to keep the compression in mind for this. What would be considered the max ratio to keep it from detonating itself apart....I can dream for free..right?

10. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

John, I'm seriously considering building a short block and swapping my heads and TPI over and running a Vortech system. I feel the need for a little more bang. The reason I asked Mike about his comment is because you can supercharge a TBI a lot cheaper than a TPI.