Wiring up my TPI (From '89 FFB) Any input Knuckle Dragger?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Penix, Oct 15, 2007.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

So now I find this out....LOL...

2. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Not sure all of the minor stuff you have to buy for it...

Higher volume fuel pump
    adjustable fuel pressure regulator
    probably bigger injectors
    2-bar MAP sensor perhaps

3. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

So Dave, have you changed your mind about selling your Camaro then?

4. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've seen a few early cars that generally comand high dollar for sale on the board that are not moving. Great prices but no interest. Something as oddball as my car is certainly not going to bring what I feel it's worth in this market. I'm jonesing for a new project so I figure my Camaro will be that project. I have a good number of things I want to change.

5. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Very cool. It would have been a sad day to see you part with it.

6. John Wright

Items 1 thru 3 were on my list at some point anyway, so.....a new map sensor would be the only item left. I understand that buggar is kinda pricey though.

7. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

As I'm thinking about, I'm not absolutely certain a greater-than-1-bar MAP sensor is required.

In the ECM code if you cross a particular threshold of a combination of MAP and throttle position (TP), it'll send the system into power-enrichment (PE) mode, which you can program with an air fuel ratio you want. The PE is an open loop mode (ECM ignores the O2 sensor feedback) and the AFR will vary with RPM and coolant temperature. So once you're into PE, IIRC, the ECM will ignore the MAP sensor as well. With a blower, you could program the ECM to go into PE at the right MAP and TP for your blower and then make the AFR whatever you want. The critical part will be getting the AFR right- you don't want to go too lean in a blown application. As such, you'd probably want to get a wide-band O2 and stick it in other header tube to see what AFR you're getting in relation to what you programmed into the ECM.

In fact, the TPS threshold for PE itself varies with RPM and coolant temperature as well. So you could really fine tune this parameter once you start burning your own chips.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  8. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I was thinking TBI throttle body setup cause the Procharger set up is for carbureted versions, and I can set it up EFI either way, forced or nat. aspirated. I envisioned multi-port because I figure that would give me a little better driveability, low end, mpg, but also cause I figure it could possibly be easier to richen 8 injectors over 2.
    I was trying to imagine whether there would be much of a difference between the cooling effects of mixing the fuel at the top of the intake vs. just before the head... probably better at the top.
    I also like the idea of going with a short throttle body vs. a taller one with injectors and mess. Need to be able to fit all that within the Procharger hat.

9. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

Richening a TB EFI vs port EFI should be the same difference. Just reprogram the ECM. Though yes, the port EFI would give you some better driveability under low-mid range normal dirving conditions.

WRT cooling, the compressed air is going to be so freaking hot anyway, any cooling differences would be neglibible.

10. John Wright

POS, Ultm8, Jake....if your putting together a bottom end now(like I am this week)...and the future may include a boosted application...what compression ratio should we shoot for to keep it from being a dog while N/A but not melt itself down when boosted?????