With all the negative Windows 10 gets I'm pretty impressed

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by Knuckle Dragger, Dec 16, 2018.

1. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Several things.

I never get updates unless I allow it. I have it set as I showed previously. I do not understand getting updates when you tell it not to.

Next, I upgraded my copy to professional and I updated my Office package via an asian key seller. Yup, cost about $20. Keys work great; you download the software directly from Microsoft.

The updates allow for more than operating bugs; they update security holes as they find them. It's pretty complex and anyone who doesn't take the updates is just looking for trouble.

Lastly, you need three more things to make your Win 10 experience complete.
    1) A fast computer to take advantage of it with an SSD.
    2) A UPS to keep powerline transients from killing your machine or corrupting your software.
    3) Backup software with an external drive (maybe two) using something like Acronis Backup.

2. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

this absolutely nailed it.

I have been saying for some time that MS adopted an Apple policy of forcing updates on their customer base;
    Forcing your customers to do anything, is in my opinion, bad policy.

I use a Windows 10 computer for work, I dread intune pop-ups;
    What's going to screw up now.

I think that depends on your version of windows 10 - "windows 10" is actually a generic term these days which covers several (minutely, but different) operating systems;
    I was able to force intune to the background for a spell, but I was more or less forced to update my windows 10, and now I cannot turn it off.

Amen to that.

I couldn't agree more.
    Microsoft used to be on the forward edge of things;
    Now they are playing a version of follow the leader;
    Did you notice how the 'microsoft store' are startlingly similar to apple stores?
    The first location I saw, was in 2013 when we were on our honeymoon in Hawaii;
    I laughed...

I use for work thee versions of 'Mitek' programs;
    they still do not "play well" with windows 10...

3. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

One thing we havent really discussed is the personal data mining that is happening with Win10. You can disable a lot of it, but it's hard to know what data is actually being collected, tracked, and sold to 3rd parties.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

You can stop the updates at the perimeter using a GOOD hardware firewall like Pfsense. Set your cable modem up n pass-through mode and let the firewall control it. It does take some time to initially set it up, but then you are in control of what goes in-out of your network. I would also recommend a good VPN. With the VPN, you can set Pfsense up as the VPN endpoint so that all the devices in the house are automatically data encrypted, at least to the other VPN endpoint. This stops at least some man-in-the-middle attacks.
    Even with this I sometimes get a message saying that it can't connect to the update server, but I just smile and go on.

5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Woot! has a good backup power system for cheap today until they sell out. Prime members get free shipping.