Won't run worth a @^%$^!!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by 72ss4me, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Member

Yeah I didn't even think about it being point type ignition. Should have since the OP said it was a stock 72. Just dont think of that first anymore these days. Less I'm working on my lawn mower :)

2. 72ss4me

72ss4me Veteran Member

All good advice. I will do the plugs and ignition first. My suv got caught in a hail storm, going to try my luck with PDR do it yourself kit. But, will get to the ss next weekend. Any other suggestions in case ignition isn't it, let me know Also, I fitted a z28 dual snorkel air cleaner on my car. Anyone have a stock ss with all the vacuum line connections noted? I have the original air cleaner as well, but I think the snorkel flap is in opp. Anyway, can't seem to find a clear diagram of proper vacuum line routing in engine compartment. thx.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Bad gas.

hubedobeedo likes this.
  4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do a tuneup = points, condensor, cap (with brass rerminals), rotor, wires, an AC Delco spark plugs.

I suspect that your carb rebuild missed THEE #1 issue with Qjet carburetors = leaking welch plugs in the main body. Did you install an odd shaped black foam piece between the main body and the base plate? If not, the symptom will be starts right up even without the choke. Idles like crap and possibly too high an idle. Fowling spark plugs.

5. bourbon_scotch

bourbon_scotch Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

how bout checking the fuel filter

6. mallard

mallard Veteran Member

Anything new with this problem?