WooHoo, dyno time.

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks guys. Yeah, it is always a little nerve racking when they rev that thing to +7000 rpms on the dyno. Sounds like somethings going to explode any second...

When I get everything buttoned up good, I plan to take a video while going through the gears on the highway...

John Wright likes this.
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Hmmm, those are great numbers but I think maybe the dyno is a little shy. Those are my kind of numbers with the 427 cubes. Mine was on a dyno jet however.

3. Goat

Yeah, I hear ya. I always heard 15% loss for manual, 20% for auto. Numbers are numbers. I'm not too concerned. Machines have +/- errors and many variables come into play to produce the final curve. I'll probably take it to the track and see what kind of mph I get in the quarter mile. That will be another good measurement. The last engine I had in this car (396 sbc) made 405 to the wheels and it was a beast. The flat torque curve of this engine should be a blast on the street...

4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

X2 ^^ the MPH in the 1/4 will tell you if the chassis dyno was stingy, it wont lie.

5. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Congrats. She'll be fun to drive for sure

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

That is unnerving while it's sittin there screaming. That's gonna be a blast to drive! We had a name for the dyno. "The Dream Crusher". It's a great tuning tool, but if you see the tires hazing smoke, the dyno ain't getting it all. We had 3 pretty big guys putting their weight on the rear of Kid's Camaro and there was still wisps of smoke. I'll see if I can find the vid.

7. Goat

Do you have graphs to share?

8. badazz81z28

3934DC23-8CBE-4B08-9A62-AA8FE7628B64.jpeg Only one I could find

9. badazz81z28

The graphs look pretty similar. Texas Speed does a great job with their CNC programs and in-house cams. I’m still running the factory intake.

I’m going to assume you have Forged pistons and no longer have the titanium rods. My rotating assembly is probably lighter than yours freeing up some power?

10. Goat

I don't know. I thought for sure it would be around 600 - for sure a bit more than yours considering my ported MSD intake and MMS heads. When I get a little more comfortable with the tranny and new found power, I'm going to run it at the track and see what I get...

Took it out for the first time on the road today. It is lively for sure. They did a good tune - very responsive in every gear shift. I did not however floor it in any gear - next time...