Worth it to swap a LS into a 90 Suburban ?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by rscamaro73, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Off Duty

Off Duty Member

lol-No, it's really not that active in most sections.
    At least compared to this and many other forums.

It's still a great place for information.

2. DoTheDew

DoTheDew Veteran Member

I'd seriously consider how long you want to keep your current burb before making plans before a swap. If its beginning to rust, and you have no intention on keeping it up, then it'll be a lost cause as far as money is considered. However, its in good shape (exterior body, interior, suspension), and you think you'll keep it for a while, then by all means have at it.

However I do not believe the ls1 into a truck is the best idea. Mainly cost in comparison. 5.3's and 4.8's are dirt cheap in comparison, are the easiest to find, and come complete with truck parts, which are also cheaper(usually). They also make almost as much power, and they are built espically for trucks. Torque numbers (5.3's and 6.0's) are very high down low, which is good for a heavy vehicle. Like 300 ft/lbs under 2000 rpm.

I agree with the diesel swap idea as well. I considered it, but they are not a cheaper option in any way. Diesels naturally hold a higher resale value because they last forever. Also, they are extremely heavy, espically the older cummins engines (4 and 6bt's, common swap engines). Not only do you end up with a expensive engine swap, but you have to upgrade the front suspension to boot. Cranking the torsion bars just won't cut it.

I've yet to post a thread up yet, but I decided to do a 5.3 swap into an older 86 K truck, for some of the same reasons as you. I have a variety of reasons to do this, but what has me convinced is the ease of the swap, increased fuel mileage, easy start, and increased torque in comparison to what I have now. Not to mention the cool factor of lifting the hood. My budget will put me well under the 2000 mark, and this will include everything, even the engine. If you shop around, you can do it for the cheap.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. Off Duty

Off Duty Member

I think it's the Ck5 forum, there's a guy on there that has a shop near me, down in Sarasota/Bradenton area.
    Can do the diesel swap into your burb around 5-6k.

4. KansasTwister

KansasTwister Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The garage is where most threads get posted rather than particular sections, doesn't matter what it is really. Not as big as a member base of here, or 67-72chevytrucks.com, but lots of daily active guys and most there have a great knowledge of the 73-91 squares. Of course there are the few 67-72 guys, and fordum and his stories, but a great site.

The advantage of a square body to me is if it gets rusted, wrecked, etc, then you can just swap it into another. Youd already have the vss speedo as i pointed out earlier, if you like it do it.

5. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I do all my own work. I have not done the new LS stuff but from what I have learned doing any kind of engine swaps and/or modernizing older vehicles, the thing is this. Swap vehicles never need just what is limited to the swap. The chance that a $1,000 1990 vehicle does not also need every other moving part replaced, is zero. If they are not brand new fresh, it's also going to need all chassis rubber parts, steering hard parts, and probably brake hard parts and hydraulics too. Then is the driveline up to the new power, probably not. Is it a limited slip diff already? Who knows. You end up replacing everything by the time you're done if you want it to be right, then are you bucks ahead? who knows.

The most expensive investment you will ever make is buying an inexpensive car. This is what I have learned.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  6. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

7. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

8. Off Duty

Off Duty Member

Like I said, it's a good site.
    That's why I go there:)

I agree.
    That and the classic styling can't be beat!:cool:

Yeah, they're going to need to probably have everything replaced, but when you're done, you have classic styling, modern power/reliability/comfort, and you know what's there:)

9. banaro79

banaro79 Veteran Member

I think I would put an ls in a toaster if it would make better toast. Think about it.

10. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Bottom line is this Wayne- you will NEVER get your money back in MPG savings, unless the TBI is busted and giving you 8mpg.

I did my T56 conversion partly for fuel savings (only partly, it wasn't the primary reason). I spent $3000 putting that trans in. That was 16 years and about 50k miles ago. I have saved (you know I keep track) roughly $1400 in fuel by going from 14/17 to 16/24. There is a ZERO % chance that an LS swap will improve your mileage that much.
    50k miles, 16 years, and I've only gotten half my money back...

Think about it. Drive the Saturn as much as possible to save on fuel.

Just my opinion, of course.