Wow!!, Guess what I got for absolutely nothing today

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by RS1979, Sep 25, 2019.

1. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

EF10F944-C34B-418E-B003-1225377E8976.jpeg 7CD6E17E-A668-4202-A8FD-C038A8444BCF.jpeg FE33CA9D-E862-422E-B259-7EF605662173.jpeg FEFD2270-861F-4238-99E0-4CAC668FB7A0.jpeg CB34CB4D-DDE3-452B-8F01-3EEC6CB6A391.jpeg 9C63B33D-752D-43B0-B171-F20ADD4F19E1.jpeg 3DD69450-7E2C-4679-A873-8BD390B20155.jpeg My father-in-law is in a care home for people with Alzheimer’s. My mother-in-law passed away two weeks ago. While going through the house to see what needed to be done, I ran across this. It’s a Loewe Berlin 1890 rifle chambered in 8mm. It’s a German pre WW1 rifle. It is in fantastic shape. The stock is not cracked nor is the metal rusted badly. The Mauser bolt works perfectly too. My wife told me she didn’t know where it came from and I can have it. Take a look at these pictures I took.

71RSLS and Smokey15 like this.
  2. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    Hell Yea!!!!!

3. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That is a sweet find!!

4. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

My parents split up about 10 years ago. Dad had some unregistered rifles in the basement. Mom gave them to her brother to "hold on to for safe keeping" :screwup:. I can't catch a break...I'll never see those again...my cousin will end up with the f**cars. Same thing with the other side of my family...Dad's younger brother wiped out all of Grandpas tools, model T, and even got his shop "sold" to him. All that will filter down to another one of my cousins. :mad:

5. jeff swisher

jeff swisher Veteran Member

I never wanted anything from dead relatives even if they were rich I could care less.
    I could be the odd duck here. I have my own stuff and I am happy.

RS1979 that is a nice looking rifle and I would probably be shooting it if it was in my hands.
    I like my guns and really like my old ones.
    I will take turns using different guns for deer season so none of them get jealous of the others.
    Here is some interesting reading on oils and waxes for gun stocks.
    They talk of the M1 but the information is really good for about any wood stock.
    Interesting reading for sure.. be sure to read about the negatives of wax at the bottom about your health.
    Something I did not know.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1-garand-new-oil-finish

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I wonder if it was used in the Boer war or the Hehe rebellion. That would explain how it got to your father-in-law. Slow firing but a really reliable weapon.

7. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My neighbor had to move out when the lady he was living with died, he stored a bunch of stuff in another neighbors garage and was putting three gun cases in there, I said hold on lets store those at my house. A few years go by never saw or heard from him, he shows up at St Vincent's hospital where my wife works and he asks for her. Had pancreatic cancer, he didn't last long. I got a Sears JC Higgins 20 gauge bolt action shotgun in OK condition, a Remington pump 12 gauge and a Marlin 22 brand new. Sweeet!. I've never seen a bolt action shotgun before. One of the few times in my life where things have worked out pretty well for me. Just got a huge 7000 watt generator from the guy flipping the house next door to me for free. $70 in parts it ran great. My neighbor in his 70's asked what I was gonna do with it, told him sell it on Craigslist for about $500, he said he couldn't afford that. I traded him, got his oxy-acetlyne welding out fit from him, lots of torch tips, cutting head, tons of rod. I wired the gen into his breaker box for him also, using big old 6 gauge that the neighbor who moved into the flipped house gave me after he tore it out of attic (about $70 worth of wire). I would have kept the gen but just last year bought a nice Generac with battery start, pressure fed oiling system, so I had no use for it. That was also sweet!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  8. Jimmac

Jimmac Veteran Member

when you wire the gen into the breaker box, do you put a auto disconnect into the panel? or does it have to be isolated manually? I wanted to get a backup generator but was told just run a extension cord for the fridge and tv jim

9. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It does not have an auto disconnect. But I made him a set of directions to follow (just like I made my wife) so he kills the main breaker and other stuff like a/c, water heater before he turns the gen breaker on. You'd be trying to power the whole neighborhood off your gen if you don't kill the main and you could hurt or kill a lineman if your feeding power back into the main.

10. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

I inherited a Martin guitar circa ~1920s vintage from my grandparents. It feels totally different from any other guitar I've ever held, it's solid and just shows the signs of hand crafted expert detail.

shanghai Kid likes this.