WS6 Rear disc... What Booster???

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by bkhudgins, Jan 17, 2012.

1. bkhudgins

bkhudgins New Member

I appreciate the input, but does anyone have anything to say about the prop valve difference?? I understand that hydro boost is better but that is not the route I am going. The only question I have now is how can you tell the difference between a disc/drum prop and a disc/disc prop? and will a disc/disc prop from a iroc or other disc/disc car work with the T/A setup??

2. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

Just put a T in the front and an adjustable valve in the rear line. That way you can adjust for tires sizes springs and handling the factory did not use.

3. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

4. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

I did the WS6 swap back in 2008. Here is a post of mine with part numbers I used:

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1451422&postcount=20

Keep in mind those are 2008 prices I paid.

I used a new disc/disc solid brass replacement valve from inlinetube.com (mentioned in the post above) #VPL114 for the 79 T/A with disc rear end. Fit perfect and looks nice.

The pictures are gone unfortunately due to Verizon.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  5. SG71SS

SG71SS Veteran Member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  6. bkhudgins

bkhudgins New Member

That is what Im talking about. Thanks for answering my question. The button is what I thought I should look for to help determine which is which.

Do you think a disc to disc prop from a iroc or s10 blazer with rear disc will work with the T/A rear set up? I may be going to a pull a part soon and they may have one for iroc or s10. doubt I will find a prop for a 79 T/A though.lol

7. purpleflame

purpleflame Veteran Member

I have a 80's T/A disc/disc proportioning valve in my 72 with manual brakes, I used a moser 9 inch rear, 95 camaro rotors and calipers and did the 70 corvette booster with proportioning valve from a 80's t/a, had to swap the piston in the m/c as it was too deep for the rod coming from the pedal, sure it was the power brake setups are different on the rod in the m/c as my new m/c was for power but has a 1 1/8 inch bore for manual brakes.

8. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Qiuck question, do you mean 3'rd gen when mention "'80's T/A"?

9. 455 Formula

455 Formula Veteran Member

I swapped a complete 1979 WS6 differential under my 1975 Formula and used the stock booster with a '79 T/A M/C and a '79 cadillac prop valve. The system worked great and the pedal was solid with virually no take up whatsoever.

While the rear discs worked fine, the car didn't seem to stop any better than it did with standard rear drums, full-length shoes and DOT 5 silicon fulid.

I swapped in a complete drum brake diff (2.56:1) for a speed record attempt at El Mirage Dry Lake in July of 2011. After driving the car with the drum brakes, the 4 wheel disc M/C and prop valve, I found the brakes had much better response and feel than the rear discs and decided to keep the rear drums.

I drive this car about 1500 miles a month on the street and have braked in everything from pouring rain on I-15 to snow and ice in Big Bear where it is 20° at times. The brakes on the car right now, with classically mis-matched parts, are the best overall brakes I have ever had. I am yet to induce fade, even with repated high speed stops.

FWIW...Robert

10. 455 Formula

455 Formula Veteran Member

I'm not sure, but the RWD Cadillac Seville is a 100% bolt-on swap...Robert