WTB: 6 Cyl 1970 - 1973 Camaro

Discussion in 'Camaros Wanted' started by camaro73lt, Apr 3, 2013.

1. camaro73lt

camaro73lt Veteran Member

Don't laugh, I'm serious. Looking to buy an original 6 cylinder (manual or auto trans) of our beloved Second Gen Camaro (70 - 73). Why? The rarity of the car and "just because". (that's what my kids use to say).

If anyone knows of one for sale: now, in the future, etc. Please keep me mind.

Thanks! - Jim

2. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good Luck finding one.
    Most were scraped or engine changed
    I did get a chance to see one many years ago

3. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

you can probably find someone still daily driving one in primer in CA and ship it over

4. fbody_mike

fbody_mike Veteran Member

5. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Haha,I have a soft spot for 307's. I have one sitting around and in case the 408 in Frankie blew up,I am going to freshen it and do a few things to it.

6. camaro73lt

Rich - I met Bamaro for the first time last week. He's driving an all original 1970 307 car. Even has manual brakes and steering w/column shifter. A real time capsule.

I just like the unusual and hard to find of the 2nd Gen's... I can probably count on one hand the number of 6 cyl's I have seen at shows over the years. Last year, I was just hours short of finding one that went to the crusher in a Baltimore salvage yard. I was sick.

Hope to find one someday!

7. Rich Schmidt

I had a 307 in my 73 back when I was in high school(1989). I always wondered how fast it could have gone without major work,and while looking stock. Mine had full duals,and I reworked the 2 barrel to richen it up for the exhaust,and a 2.73 posi rear. Now that I know a bit more about engines,I know I could have made that engine run as good as most of the mild 350's my friends had. My friend had a 76 with a 350 target master,alumin Z/28 intake and Qjet,headers,3.08 gears,and shorter fatter tires. We raced together many times and we would always run thru with me even with his back bumper. We tuned the heck out of each other's cars but I think I put more effort into mine. :) I was thinking,a 3 angle valve job,back cut the valves,switch to the 2 barrel intake and carb from a 400 small block and port it to match the heads,add a very mild sealed power type cam with new timing set,fresh springs and 1.6 roller tips. If I had the chance,I would have looked for a set of 68-69 4 barrel 68cc heads in the junk yard to do my work on. We had a full seat grinding and valve grind machine in our high school auto shop class and I learned how to use it. That would have been fun. While the heads were off I would have put a nice chamfer on the top of the bores around the intake valve area. I would have swapped in a 2200 stall "Boss Hog" cheapie convertor,a shift kit,found some used 3.08-3.42 gears and put some tires on it. I already installed a 2.25" exhaust and turbo mufflers before I swapped a 350 in. I bet I could have shut down a lot of the less well set up 350's of the day. I also though about just using a whole junkyard 400 prepped the same way with the 68-69 heads. That would have been a sleeper with the 2 barrel. Hind sight is almost always 20/20. :)

8. Rich Schmidt

The original 307 back in the "Summer of 89"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My current 400 small block. I have been working on converting it to look exactly like the 307 from back in the day,at least if you dont look too hard. I even have the correct rounded front master cylinder,I just have to install it. I does have a painted Torker 2 intake and 850 carb on it now,but I went with the point distributor(with a crane conversion),and the yellow wires(actually lower resistance race wires). The coil is a Crane with the sticker peeled off,I modified the air cleaner(I made a whole tread on that). A lot of guys restore their cars back to the car's heyday,even if that heyday was back before the owner was even born. I restored mine to MY heyday and it means more to me like that.

Pics from the same angle as the original 307 pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. fast72

fast72 Veteran Member

I am in Sacramento, CA. If you lived close I almost give it to you. I have one that was supposedly rebuilt 30,000 miles a go and still has the three (3) speed attached...Yep it was a 3 speed manual.

10. camaro73lt

fast72 - Wow! Have you got any pics you can send me?
    jmiles.pm@gmail.com
    I would love to see it. Rust problems? All original?
    Thanks - Jim