Z-28 Stripes

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by ron1179, Jul 24, 2014.

1. ACF

ACF Member

1972 Z28's came standard without a rear spoiler. A rear spoiler was an option for that year. Nothing is on the trim tag indicating a spoiler or no spoiler on a 1972 trim tag.

2. Fwyflier

Fwyflier New Member

Don’t know if this will help anybody on the spoiler and stripe topic. I owed a 1970 1/2 Z28 when it was almost new and had it for over 25 years. If I remember the 3 piece spoiler was not used until 1973 and the rear stripes on mine were started one inch below the window trim and had radius corners on the one piece rear spoiler as they did not die at the bottom of the spoiler. I’ll see if I can find a picture.

3. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

4. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

Thanks for everyone's input. I've done enough research of my car to feel it was built sans spoiler and the 1 piece spoiler was painted and installed prior to delivery to the new owner. I had contemplated fixing the black on the deck lid and fixing the stripes on the rear of the spoiler to match what is considered correct but have decided to leave it as is, as it is how it was delivered to the original owner as best as I can determine. As background I worked several years for GM at their GMAD plant in North Tarrytown NY for the introduction of the infamous X cars. I can tell you of many instances where cars weren't built exactly to the codes on the sequence sheet due to parts shortages, running changes or just mistakes in paperwork or assembly. Point is the build sheet if available isn't always gospel, at least in my opinion.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  5. Fwyflier

Fwyflier New Member

6. Fwyflier

Fwyflier New Member

You guys are good. Couldn’t remember if it 72 or 3 that the tall spoiler came out. I don’t think there were too many COPO spoilers out there in 70 and 71.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Actually the rear tall spoiler was available as an option in 1971.

8. JT71SS

JT71SS Veteran Member

The tall COPO spoiler was only a COPO option in 70. In the beginning of 71 both spoilers was available by the end of 71 the short spoiler was no longer

9. Fwyflier

Fwyflier New Member

In my old school opinion, if you have a 70-71 you should have a one piece spoiler as they look way cooler. Not so in your face. I always thought the 3 piece made it look more like a TA.

flht99b likes this.
  10. WANNARUN

WANNARUN Veteran Member

DEA83AB0-E672-4BB7-AE96-C886EB04473D.png 1970 Z28 RS COPO