Zeadly 81

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Canadian Barton, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Canadian Barton

Canadian Barton Veteran Member

Here's my second kick at the cat. Started with a 1978 Z28

Trailer Queen.JPG

It didn't take long to realize I was in over my head and down the road i went.

Trailer Queen.JPG 1.jpg

In the meantime I purchased an 81 Z28 that is in remarkably good shape. Just lousy paint.

019.JPG

Now begins the process of "light" sanding an d getting it ready for new paint. I hope to have it painted by June but likely pushing end of June for the back on the road date.

018.JPG

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry to hear the first one didn't go so well. This one looks better so hopefully you can get it back on the road quickly as you hope. Still lots of snow around those parts?

3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Welcome aboard And you fun has just begun

Attached Files:

4. Canadian Barton

Snow is mostly gone and it's shorts and backyard fire pit season. Still lots up in the mountains though.

5. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's good to hear! I know the Calgary area was hit pretty yard with snow this past winter.

6. Canadian Barton

A couple of scorchers made me commit to yard clean up after the long winter. Even managed to get the cover off the iceberg that will one day be a pool again.
    Bumper Cover 002.JPG

Sunday turned to cool and rain so I got to spend the day in the garage. Working on getting the front bumper cover stripped down to the original. Three layers of paint, 3 layers of primer, one thin layer of high build primer and many hours of sanding. I hope to have this finished in time for Christmas... holy cow what a PIA. The red is really tough as it seems to just spread instead of sanding away. Looks like it might have had a run in with a curb and had some tears in the chin spoiler and front flares. Managed to get them cleaned up and repaired with the plastic welder. Getting pretty handy with that. I also found a heat gun will help persuade the bumper back to the original shape.
    Bumper Cover 010.JPG
    012.JPG 014.JPG

Attached Files:

• 015.JPG
      015.JPG
      File size:
      70.4 KB
      Views:
    hubedobeedo likes this.
  7. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

How strong do you think that plastic weld is going to be? I need to restore a urethane nose that has some ripped mounting holes that. I was considering fiberglassing them, I have no experience with plastic welding

8. Canadian Barton

Once it sets it is incredibly durable. The set up I have is a polyvance airless, it's basically a soldering iron that I spent way too much money on but I'm sure your harbor freight has something similar. I see you can get this kit in the States for $160, comes with lots of different types of plastic rod which is likely where the value is. It also comes with some steel mesh that you can use to reinforce your welds. I've used that and it works great.
    5700HT-1.2.jpg

hubedobeedo likes this.
  9. Canadian Barton

More hole repair on the front bumper cover. Will need a light sanding then prime and fill. I call it progress and will post once I have it all in primer. Should be this weekend.

IMG_0786.JPG IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0788.JPG

10. Canadian Barton

Oh, and 16 days later the pool was a balmy 82 degrees.

IMG_0785.JPG

hubedobeedo likes this.