07 suburban 5.3 to LS3 6.2??

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by acmanted, Oct 29, 2011.

1. LSXZ28

LSXZ28 Veteran Member

2. acmanted

acmanted Member

You are right! sometimes you get to a point and everything takes so much time and energy, I just want to say piss on it I have had enough aggravation with this. This thread is giving me a new drive.thanks

3. acmanted

acmanted Member

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cheaper option to strongly consider if a motor swap is your hearts desire.....

A 2007+ LY6 with the L92 heads on it already.
    Any of the 2500 HD series trucks have this, and it's one step below the L92.

You can get them for under $2000 with ~30K on them stripped.
    Just add a cam and springs, if you're DBW already should be a direct swap with a tune I'd think.

I got mine form a 2008 Sierra 2500HD with 39K for $1875 plus accessories.
    THat's the nice thing about the new Vortec series......can keep that GM running forever.

5. bronx_peanut

bronx_peanut New Member

There is a service bulletin about the 5.3 oil burn issue. The dealer fix is to replace pistons and rings. My brother is a mechanic at a GMC dealer and just did one last week.

6. COLS70-73MAN

COLS70-73MAN Veteran Member

Yeah, I call BS on the "normal" excuse. I have a 2000 Z28 that I have had since new and I might use a quart every 4000 miles(I got 125000 miles on car) My valve seals let a little out when I run the poo out of it.

7. Devryn

Devryn Veteran Member

I don't have my dyno sheet here, but mine makes torque all the way through the range.

8. 2ndgenhunter

2ndgenhunter Veteran Member

That oil consumption is BS. My dad and I both have 07 flex fuel trucks. My dads has 64k miles and mine has 118k miles. Niether truck uses a drop of oil. I drive the crap out of my truck too. My dad pull a camper 100 each way to the hunting land, It has never used a drop either. I would make GM take car of it for ya.

The engine swap idea isn't real smart. If you really want a 6.2, just trade yours in. The money you spend on the swap will be more that you lose on the trade. Just MHO.

9. Quikzilver

Quikzilver Member

LS motors do burn more oil than other GM V8's. My LS3 burns a quart every 3,000 miles. The LS6 before did the same. Both of these motors are in Corvettes. I have the 5.3 n my 07 Yukon XL, that I drive like my Corvette, but that motor doesn't burn any oil and it has 106,000+ miles on it. I would say that dealership is hoping you just go away. Press the oil burning issue. They should change the oil and have you come back at a predetermined date to see if it is burning more than it should.

10. studsZ28

studsZ28 Veteran Member

Sir, Im a GM Technician up here in MN. Yes its a common problem for those engines to burn oil.. Im sorry. From what Ive seen at the dealer is that i basically boils down the the active fuel management, something about shutting half the cylinders off seems to increase carbon build up and sticks the rings, causing it to consume oil.
    Any ways, back to the topic at hand. 1.5 qts of oil in 1000 miles IS in fact 'excessive' by GM's specifications and does require attention. Next you need to make sure you are still under the factory powertrain warrenty, The five year 100,000 mile warrenty from the date your vehicle was put into service. Having the dealer do whats called a 'VIS' can tell you that.
    If you are, then they have to address your concern at no cost to you; if you arent, then you should try contacting GM and seeing if you can get them to 'goodwill' it and cover it, due to customer satisfaction.
    Sorry for the lengthy response. hope this helps you, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.