1" or 1 1/8" Wilwood master with 4 wheel power discs?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Zedzag, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

I have the Baer Track kit 13" front and 12" rear brakes on my 81z. They are basically C4 vette brakes I was told. I can get a good deal on Wilwood master cylinders but I don't know what bore size I need. Do I need 1" or 1 1/8" or is that just preference. I want to track/auto-x this car and want the brakes to grip without killing my leg.The smaller the bore the more leg pressure it takes? What is the c4 vette master bore size? I asked Baer and they said "use a wilwood master".

2. m pozzi

m pozzi Moderator Staff Member

Power or manual brakes as it makes a difference. I had the same C4 Baer system and used a 15/16" bore master cylinder for a power brake application. Car stops great and pedal feels excellent.

Cheers,
    Mary Pozzi

3. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

This is a power setup sing the factory 81 booster. I don't see Wilwood offering a 15/16 master.

4. m pozzi

m pozzi Moderator Staff Member

You may have to go aftermarket. That's the size m/c that I used for the same system.

Mary Pozzi

5. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I dont know about the baer system but wilwood recomended a 1 1/8" bore for my car with there 12" discs all the way around.

6. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Generally speaking and over-simplified, manual setups like a small bore about 1" and for power a bigger bore like 1-1/8.

What it really depends on is the area of the caliper pistons and the pedal ratio. C4 stuff has small pistons and you can get away with a smaller master, like Mary suggested.

7. Skip Fix

Skip Fix Veteran Member

The 79-81 WS6 4WD used a 1 1/8. Not sure how the Baer piston sizes compares to that for moving the same volume if smaller you don't need the volume and it gives less pedal effort. The flip side since you are power booster you may not need the less pedal effort. Do you have the 4WD pedal or the "regular" disc/drum pedal? Which booster the single disc/drum or a dual? The duals also give more assist.

8. Zedzag

Zedzag Veteran Member

This is the factory booster which was disc/drum and so is the pedal. I was going to try the 1 1/8 origionally but don't want to get it wrong as the master is $200.00.

9. Al Weyman

Al Weyman Veteran Member

I have Wilewood GN 6 pots (massive) on the front and a 4 pot brembos on the back of my race car and the standard cylinder was giving too much travel so I put the Wilewood 11/8" master cylinder on and its perfect with a nice feel and not too much travel. I still have the factory booster fitted.

10. protour73

protour73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't guess, call Wilwood 805-388-1188 (Tech Support & Sales)