1100 mile holy grail Z28 Carb.

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by ralph amitrano, May 15, 2020.

1. ralph amitrano

ralph amitrano Member

Does the 1100 mile Z28 have the wrong carb. on his car, according to what I read his carb should be 3972122 list 4554 calif. car, but His has 3972120 list 4490 witch is non calif. car What is Right. mine is 3972121 List 4555 but mine is a Van Nuys car are we boath wrong. thumbnail (12).jpg

2. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

From what I know. The car was sold to the original owner in Chicago. It wouldn't require the special California emissions equipment.

3. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

121 is with a 4 speed

4. ralph amitrano

ralph amitrano Member

The 121 is what I have, my car was sold in Nevada, Does it matter where the car was made or where it was sold, to determine what carb you should have.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  5. ronzz572

ronzz572 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes it did matter on where the car was going. Being your car was built to be sold in Nevada. It wouldn't require a California emissions system. So your car shouldn't have the California emissions devices. Unless Nevada required it in 1970. It didn't matter where the car was made. What mattered was the destination for the car. A California destined car would get the appropriate emissions for the state. Now as for the plants. My opinion here, Ifeel that the Vanuys plant only produced the cars specifically for California.

6. ralph amitrano

ralph amitrano Member

well the 1100 mile Z has the calif. emission devics an it was sold in Illinois. I'm geting their thats why I want to know about the carb.

Attached Files:

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

It doesn't have the NA9 California emissions. No charcoal canister with vent tubes going to carb and gas tank.
    Never thought about it, but Ron may be correct, I haven't seen a Norwood NA9 car.

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Non Cal destined cars still have the smog pump and smog pipes in the exh manifolds, timers, vacuum switch and Muncie switch but did not have charcoal canister with hoses like on an octopus running all over the place including the gas tank.

9. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

It is simple. Cars sold in California required NA9 California emissions. It doesn't matter if they were assembled in Van Nuys or Norwood. Cars sold outside California didn't get NA9.
    But, remember that dealers often traded cars to get what one of their customers wanted and if there wasn't one on the dealer's lot, they could work a deal with another dealer to get the car. That is still commonly done today.
    You would need to look at the original build sheet to see the original destination for a particular car.

10. twestrup

twestrup Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes, all cars sent to dealers in California had the NA9 evap system. Lot of people removed the canister and all related parts. Sad part, that did not do anything to take away from the horsepower, it was designed to eliminate the fumes from the car. It would vent back to the carb via the canister. I am one guy trying to find all those pieces to the system that was removed and trashed.