14x3 filter,k&n or paper

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 80sz, May 25, 2015.

1. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My friends Sprint car and midget run faster lap times with a dry K&N filter set up than a oiled filter

2. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I stopped oiling mine...just clean it every once in awhile.

3. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Same here both my K&N filters , my 10x5 and my 14x5 are always cleaned and never oiled

4. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

I have a Holley filter and love it. There's no oil involved, has the K&N look, but is blue, not "pink".

5. ORANGE77

ORANGE77 Veteran Member

I have a blue "spectri" ( actually not junk like alot of their stuff) and works great, just hose off. I use a chrome steel top, have a holley too. :)

6. DCR 1979 Z28

DCR 1979 Z28 Veteran Member

I don't think the K&N could add enough power that you would ever be able to measure it, if adds any power at all. My personal preference is a Fram paper filter. I try to avoid using their oil filters, but on a open element air filter I just like the looks of the white paper and the orange rubber top and bottom, especially with a gold anodized Moroso air cleaner :cool: .

7. anderson8687

anderson8687 Veteran Member

I bought the K&N look-a-like through summit, $20 cheaper, and while on the phone the salesperson told me it was the exact same filter, made by K&N. difference was in the manufacturer of the base and lid.

8. Marv D

Marv D Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Devils own training ground,,, aka Arizona
    Like everything,, the more HYPE that goes with the product the more your paying for nothing but advertising. I'm surprised K&N hasn't been sued for their BS claims of "adding 20+ HP". Yeah,, compared to sticking a wet rag over the intake I guess!

9. anderson8687

anderson8687 Veteran Member

very true. just like the K&N cold air intake i put on my truck was suspost to increase fuel mileage.....typo...they meant decrease. increase engine noise thats about it

10. Cataldo

Cataldo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have to agree with Marv, running at the track I have tried new Fram filters vs k&n and saw no difference either way. With no air filter I got very very little increase in mph. About a half a mph. Nothing that a stronger tail wind wouldn't do. Plus I won't loose a tenth from ingesting a bee. Haha. The deciding factor is whether you prefer to toss out the old filter or spend an hour cleaning the k&n. I use paper filters.

I attribute the lack of significant improvement with no filter to low hood clearance. No filter and a closed flat hood is not much more space than the filter and lid.