18" Wheel to UCA Clearance

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by dcozzi, Nov 30, 2020.

1. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER Member

I currently run a forgeline 18x10 wheel with a 6" backspace with global west control arms and no clearance issues. The tire size is 275x35x18. I used to run Monocoque 3 piece 17x11" wheel up front with 6" backspace and stock control arms with 275x40x17 tire. The backside of the wheel hit the stock control arms so I had to grind down the control arms( i would not recommend doing this). I damaged the wheel, control arm, and also the stock fender. Young and stupid. And the tire hit the upper lip of the stock front fenders. Basically this combo did not work. Trial and error.

2. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

ya depends on the UCA and specific wheel, but suffice to say when you get up to 6" BS there is some risk of interference. Tire doesn't matter for that - the clearance is the wheel lip itself hitting the UCA.

3. JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER

JUNKYARD AUTOCROSSER Member

Forgot to mention that I am using stock spindles and rotors so my offset is stock.

4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

I'm curious, @C4Racer and @JYAC, do you guy's use some kind of bump steer kit to lower the outer tie rod ends ?

For my application, getting the bump steer in the right range to eliminate, or to get a slight toe out under bump required lowering the out tie rods, and that set's my BS limits, for me anyway.

Very interested in what your doing/getting for bump curves.

5. C4Racer

C4Racer Veteran Member

I haven't changed that from stock on my car. Yet. It's a new car for me still setting it up and didn't get any track time in this year.

6. mid77z28

mid77z28 Veteran Member

Gerald,
    Are you using tall ball joints?