193 swirl port TALL Port

jeff swisher

Veteran Member
Apr 26, 2018
Yukon Oklahoma
I have heard badmouthing on many head castings.
and most of the time the swirl port gets no love.

I built a set many years ago for a buddy and never really cared what casting I was working with I just port them and go.
And every head made great power.

Now I have another set of 193 swirl ports I am porting for a mud truck.
I notice more things today than I did 20+ years ago.

What I noticed is these 193 heads have a very deep bowl and it's shape is more straight up into the chamber instead of a gradual ramp heading into the chamber.

I took a couple pictures of how far the roof of the port is from the bottom of the short turn.
I used lead solder and made a black mark to the bottom of the short turn and another mark at the valve seat area.

I then took that solder and stuck it into a port from a 601 casting head.
.750" difference.
The area of the port is really not all that small if you look at how tall it is.

The first set i built was on top of a 383 with a Comp XE274 flat tappet, RPM intake and 750 carb. Monty Carlo with 700R4 and 373 gears.. I do not know any ET but was told it was very fast and would rev to 7200 RPM really quick.

This set is going on a 350" I think and will have a [email protected] .050 .501" lift on a 106 LSA cam.

002.JPG
003.JPG

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
One of my buddies that ported some tbi head the castings he used that the intake runners cc'ed at 200 when he was done with them.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Ya my old race buddy Dan was good for getting the most out of stuff like you Jeff. He has a 8 sec. 555 BBC in a 3rd gen F-bird that he built himself. That car runs in the 8's on pump gas.

jeff swisher

Veteran Member
Apr 26, 2018
Yukon Oklahoma
I measured one and it came out to 186cc intake runner.
I did not open the pushrod pinch as it looked much just a slight blend and a blend in the bowls.. much more removed in the bowls though and removed some from one side of the valve guide