195 or 210 Heads for street / strip

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by z28smokin, Jan 19, 2011.

1. z28smokin

z28smokin Veteran Member

I mever reallu thought about the fact that you are .1 - .4 twice where top just once, but that makes perfect sense. I have gotten a lot of good advice here, but I think this thread is very helpful. I am definately going to work on my set-up before I start spending more freaking money. I really hate to think of all the $$ I have wasted by listening to sales people and jumping in. I asked the machine shop I use here about porting and they thought I needed to tweak the carb, and maybe porting. Then reading many threads about the advantages of aluminum and the discussions on the chinese stuff I was looking for a reasonable alternative as I was convinced heads would solve my problem. The machine shop is expensive and $300 when I could spend $1000 for killer heads made since, kinda. Now, I am going to work on my set-up first. Need to anyway as I cut my springs and like how the car sits, but I hit a bump and it pulled the front fender out. Thankfully it was an easy fix, and happened a few times, and on the priority list, but just moved up. A good set of traction bars, front and rear springs and tweaking the carb will now take the $$ I was going to spend on the heads and then see what happens. I love the fact that my heads are GM iron as I saw a few classes in a local event that required stock type heads to be considered in the stock classes. Guess the winter was getting the best of me.

2. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

sounds like a plan!

3. Doug Jaynes

Doug Jaynes Veteran Member

The NFME is coming to INDY in May, its a 2 or 3 day rental with plenty of test and tune track time with a bunch of F body guys that can help you dial it in. Ill post a link later if you are interested.

A wide band o2 meter/data logger would be a big help in dialing it in but doable without.

Doug

4. CamaroMan79

CamaroMan79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Me personally, i would run the 195's

5. z28smokin

z28smokin Veteran Member

Doug, There has been a lot of chatter about getting F body guys together in the mid-west this year. I for one would love the opportunity to work with others to dial in mine and help others do the same. Please make sure you post all details and see if we can put an fbody
    party together that weekend.

6. Doug Jaynes

Doug Jaynes Veteran Member

The party has already been arranged just sign up , heres the link. and non F body cars are welcome too.

http://fbody-event.org/

7. caribbean camaro

caribbean camaro Veteran Member

when it manages to stay on the track - its been mid 10's on motor once

last time it actually ran - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKR-6xtqJ1c

it sure felt like it was on a tear - for about 80 ft. LOLLL

she will be back on the road soon I hope

8. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

man that track didnt look too safe! car sounded great

9. z28smokin

z28smokin Veteran Member

Doug I just checked the event schedule last week and missed it. I will definately be there!

Caribbean - that is tough, but I must agree with mwilson, that track does not look too safe, but I am sure you had less damage than if you would have bounced off a couple of walls. Glad you were not hurt.

I do appreciate all the suggestions and comments. It made me realize I have a lot of other things I can spend money to get the entire car where I want it.