1970 1/2 Camaro Trunk pan appears to be unique.

Discussion in 'Canadian Owners' started by donaldy, Nov 14, 2021.

1. donaldy

donaldy New Member

Hi all,

I did a survey on my 1970 Camaro RS Z28 and found that I need to replace my trunk pan. There are no holes in my trunk pan but I think it has thin out and may be weakened by years of rust. When I looked at my trunk pan, it looked different than the trunk pans replacement on the market. I noticed the front of the trunk pan, towards the rear seats, on an aftermarket 1970-73 trunk pan has an oval cutout with threaded holes on both sides. I understand this is for the evaporator cannister. The evaporator cannister for a 1970 is supposedly under the trunk floor left of center. I have not looked. The other thing I found different is the location of the jack bracket near the front of the trunk. On the 70, it is welded to the right of the middle hump. On the 71-73, it is welded to the left of the middle hump. I wonder what else is different? Even though, all of the aftermarket trunk pans say they fit a 1970-1973 Camaro, the 1970 trunk pan is slightly unique. I don't think they stamp a 1970 specific trunk pan so I may be left with no option but to install a 1971-1973 trunk pan, if it fits without problems. Has anyone on here had to replace their 1970 trunk pan with a complete aftermarket 1970-73 trunk pan (without rails) onto a 1970 Camaro without any problems? Anything that I should know. I am not entering a car show so having a 1971-1973 trunk pan won't bother me as long as it fits.

Donald

2. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

3. 70halfssrs

70halfssrs New Member

4. 70halfssrs

70halfssrs New Member

Did you find info on this procedure as I recently replaced my 70 pan with the smaller aftermarket? I took a great deal of time to trim it and fit it leaving the original round hump on the drivers side. The 2 large drain holes are in a different position in the repo pan. I could try to send you pics of this if no one has replied to answer your question.

5. donaldy

donaldy New Member

Do you have a picture of a 1970 1/2 Camaro trunk pan? I found the driver's side trunk pan just left of the bumper bracket and frame rail dips down, flat, and back up again to join to the drop offs (like a U shape). The passenger side is flat across. I am not sure if this is a factory or was tweaked modified by somebody in the past.

Update January 23, 2022. I figured it out. The vehicle must have been involved in an accident where the car was hit on the driver's side rear side causing the floor pan to buckle, on the side, folding down just on the fender side of the frame rail. I also measured the distance between the inside fender and drop off pan just ahead of the rear marker lights on both sides. The passenger side gap is 1" and the driver's side gap is 2.5".

Last edited: Jan 23, 2022 at 10:33 AM