1970-72 camaro SS396 4 row radiator.

Discussion in 'Original Drivetrain Topic' started by john Gialanella, Sep 13, 2014.

1. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Smokey, good info on tank codes!... Somewhere I have notes on a few tank codes too but ever since I moved I have no idea where they are? Not sure if you have the info in your notes but It would be helpful to put foot notes after the tank codes as to application. I marked the 'XJ' as I know it's for a Chevelle.

I'll also add (I'm 99% sure on this) that the fill tanks for Camaro & Firebird are the only ones that have a 45 degree slant for the radiator cap, every other GM model I have seen has a 90 degree corner. For example, that's why a 4 core manual fill tank on a 1970 Chevelle is coded 'XJ" and the 4 core manual fill tank on a 1970 Camaro is coded 'XY'. However, both 1970 Camaro & Chevelle used the same 4 core 'IF' tank on the drivers side.

So if someone has a fill tank with a 45 degree slant on the fill tank, odds are it came from a Camaro or Firebird.

On the picture I show above in post #19 with the 'LR' coded tag from Eric's L78, I have a picture of his original window sticker from this car and it shows the 'VO1' heavy duty cooling option. So 'LR' is a 4 row core radiator for manual trans.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Thanks to all and especially Smokey for deciphering my Rad. I don't expect
    to ever find correct tanks for my L-78 and quite frankly at this point don't
    care all that much. I am happy to have at least a Harrison radiator with angled fill neck that looks correct

Do need to find out what chemical to circulate in my rad as white gunk has formed at ends of core rows..........

Also happy to have OEM shroud

3. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good Idea Scott, I'll have to go back thru and dig out some notes and will try and add some footnotes to the codes this weekend. - If you find any of your notes, post them up and I will incorporate them.

Also, not so fast...., Some 68-72 Chevelles used the smaller 3 row AB coded tanks that have the 45 degree fill necks, but some also used the larger 4 row tanks that have the more parallel neck design..., so an AB coded tank with the 45 degree neck could have come from a Chevelle, but would have a longer core.

--

4. PaulC

PaulC Member

I still have the original tanks on my '71 SS396 w/o air and it was a 3 row core. Back when radiator shops were still around, had mine recored with a 4 row core, just didn't think to save the tag. Better yet should have replaced the rad. and stashed the original. John, I can't believe there aren't any rad. shops in Newark, went to a few plating shops there many years ago.

5. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

Paul.
    I found one who will do it for $550.00 total. He is in Hawthorne NJ, About 30 minutes from me. Paul it makes sense that your 1971 SS396 Camaro no VO1 option, without AC came with 3 row. But tell me are the tanks 2 3/4 inches wide or 3 1/2 inches wide. Measure were the flange is ( that is where the radiator pads go). The width of the tank where the neck is, should be about 3 inches wide.
    John.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  6. Smokin'Joe

Smokin'Joe Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hey John, don't forget to ask the shop about the top and bottom rails and make sure they are willing and able to graft your originals rails onto the new core.

--

7. john Gialanella

Smokey.
    Will do. But their is something strange on my radiator. When I measured the distance from flange to flange (where radiator pads push into) it measures 26 1/2 inches not 26 1/4 inches. Even the rad top cover seems to measure 26 1/2 inches. That 1/4 of an inch might not seem like much, but the rubber pads will not line up because they are secured into holes at bottom of rad support and top cover. Chuck's 4 row radiator when I had new core put in was 26 inches, not 26 1/4 inches. That pissed me off. I had to cut part of the pads to secure it to the rad support and top cover. I do not know where that radiator guy got that 26 inch core from.
    John.

8. PaulC

PaulC Member

John,
    The width of the tank at the flange is 3½". I seem to recall that core was for a '74 Buick Apollo 350 with a/c, but that was a long time ago and that shop is long gone as well.

9. john Gialanella

Paul.
    From what I have learned the widest part of tank (flange or end of tank) would be 3 1/2 inches with either 3 or 4 row core for high performance applications or with AC. Or 2 3/4 inches wide tank with 2 or 3 row core. Does your 3 row Harrison radiator core which is correct for your 1971 SS 396 LS3 Camaro have 2 3/4 inch tank or 3 1/2 inch tank.
    John.

10. stafs05

stafs05 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

After reading this post with all the replies again. I realized these letters are on the tank that everyone is talking about. On my 1971 LS3 which is a Automatic, with no A/C has 'A' & 'C' stamped into the tank itself. Information that I gave was from the tag that is clipped on to the tank. My LS3 is unmolested but was missing the Hot air stove assembly, and fan. I think it is a great car to base information off of. And by the way I just purchased both of those items from a great person (Bikfixer). I have also sent a lot of pictures to Bikfixer so he can put into his registry that he has for this option Camaro's. I will also have to say it needs a lot of work. I wish I could figure out to get pictures of it on this site. I would love to get your advise on what to do, how to do my project. John if there is any information I could send you to your email please let me know. Shawn

Last edited: Sep 22, 2014