1970-81 camaro Door weatherstrip.

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by john Gialanella, Jul 21, 2014.

1. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

Everybody knows that NOS GM door weatherstrip is the best and softest. The door closes easier. But what I would like to know is if this new door weatherstrip from the parts place is real good. They say it is like the original Latex. Does that mean that it is latex or like latex. It is $159.00 for pair. I own NOS 1970-81 Camaro door weatherstrip both sides. It cost me a lot. I would prefer not to use it on my 1970 SS 396 L-34 car. The car was 1/2 restored. The body and the paint were done really nice, but unless it was a full resto I would like to use this one from the parts place. I thought I heard that latex was banned. But I am not sure. I have had Metro super soft and soft seal and neither compares with the softness the the original GM.
    Thanks John.

2. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's a very good question. One to which I look forward to hearing the answer.

I too have full sets of NOS GM wether strip for both the '70'Z and the '71 RS/SS But it would be nice to have the option to use these.

FWIW, I don't think latex is band. It is still used in all sorts of things including gloves. i do know some people have allergic reactions to latex.

3. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Here is the question....If you have GM oem weather stripping, why wouldnt you use it? Saving it for that? Your not getting any younger. I mean if you are restoring a car and need some weatherstripping to get you by, the Metro or comparable will do great. But to save the GM stuff for the sake of saving it "just because" doesnt make alot of sense to me.

FWIW...The GM stuff degrades and goes bad too...have you seen how big the market is for aftermarket weather stripping?

If I had GM stuff, I would either use it or sell it.

4. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

I figured if in 5 or more years when I sell the L-34 having that NOS door weatherstrip included would help with sale. But you make a good point maybe it will be dry in 5 years. So far I open box about 6 months ago and it still looks like it is new.John.

5. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have been disappointed in both Metro and Soffseal every time I've used them (won't give chapter and verse now but I have only used their basic stuff and not any of the new primo lines).

You make a lot of assumptions based on not a lot of info.

I picked up the NOS stuff because I had two good opportunities to do so at fair prices (but significantly more than repop - even the ichi-ban, primo stuff). The first set in '06 before premium 2nd gen seals were repopped. The second after, but before I was ready to try the new stuff (opportunity knocked). Now it's insurance. If the premium repop stuff works really well then I will sell the NOS stuff...hence my interest in feedback prior to my actually using it.

Yes, original stuff goes bad but I have garages full of 44+ year old weather stripping that is still as soft, supple and water tight as it was decades ago.

And the market is large because NOS supply is short and most people have champagne dreams and beer budgets...I am willing to spend money in NOS and forgo both beer and champagne :p ;)

6. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Yeah, all I'm saying is hoarding it makes no sense. The metro and soff seal is not bad stuff. The gm is not that spectacular or else I wouldn't have had to remove it from the half dozen second gens I have owned

7. JordanZ28

JordanZ28 Member

Just asking how did the fitment of the Softseal go , do you recommend them ? I attend to change mine soon on my camaro z28 78
    Thanks

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  8. gary bickel

gary bickel Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The best I have found is Precision rubber for me beats all others. Gary

9. JordanZ28

JordanZ28 Member

Hi there
    Where did you get them? Can you post some pictures.
    Thanks