1970 Black Bowtie Steering Wheel vs Burlwood Wheel

Indetrucks

Aug 25, 2021
Southern CA
Hey gang,
I need a 1970 steering wheel. My interior has Burlwood, so naturally I am looking for a burlwood wheel. What I was wondering is, are both the black and burlwood steering wheels the same other than the wood inlay on the burlwood?

Can I simply buy the black wheel and apply the burlwood insert as available here? Sellers seem to be asking more for the burlwood wheels even when they are in worse condition than the all black bowtie wheels.

Thanks for the info!
burlwood.JPG

bowtie.JPG

Last edited:

ronzz572

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 8, 2007
imperial pa
Yes the reproduction burlwood will fit the standard black horn shroud. They are all the same. Are you looking for a restorable wheel with shroud or just a nice wheel to install?

TommyRS70

Veteran Member
Jan 31, 2004
KY
1970 only steering wheel is same for all interiors. Horn shroud is interchangeable. Black for standard in interior, burled for deluxe or accent group option.

Indetrucks

Aug 25, 2021
Southern CA
Yes the reproduction burlwood will fit the standard black horn shroud. They are all the same. Are you looking for a restorable wheel with shroud or just a nice wheel to install?
Hi ron, I am looking for a decent driver burlwood. Does not have to be restored.

Last edited:

twestrup

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 22, 2018
St. George, Utah
Repop burlwood is available. Check this site for info. SS logo might be hard to locate. You can find wheels in good shape but will pay the price.

Latest posts