1970 Camaro 6 Cylinder with a 3 Speed Manual

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by 70 Six Banger, Nov 3, 2019.

1. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would like to see the cardboard speaker block-off plate too! My L78 was ordered without a radio according to my POP but had a radio added at some point so the cardboard is missing.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  2. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

I'm also curious if there was some version of a speaker bracket used to keep it in place!

3. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

Ramair 3 and L78, I have some bad news to report. I swapped the old warped dash pad at my buddy Scott's house (no snooty neighbors walking by while I'm working on my beautiful beat-up '70 Camaro), and unfortunately forgot my camera to document the swap on here. Finding the original cardboard speaker block-off was absolutely fantastic and I made note of the 2 silver speed nuts and masking tape that held it in place (the masking tape went from the top center to the bottom center). I kept it out to get pictures of it to post on here, as well as clean it up before reinstalling it. I put it in a small cardboard box that was overlooked when I drove home after 6 hours of swapping the dashes. I came back the next morning to get the box and it was gone. Scott believes his mother (82 and somewhat forgetful) put the box in the trash can before he pushed it out to the street for pickup. His mother may have moved it into the messy garage and workshop next to where the trashcan is normally stored, but I think the box is permanently gone. I know the block-off is basically irreplaceable...really not happy about forgetting it (no one else to blame but me).

4. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

bummer

5. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's really to bad!
    Do you recall what the block-off material looked like? I'm willing to bet it was the same material as the rear package tray cardboard. Was it the same color as the dash? I'm guessing it was held in-place the same way as the speaker would of been with the 2 nuts.

6. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

I haven't been on here for awhile and wanted to post the latest "mods" on "Froggy". I know from the build sheet that it came with f78-14 blackwall bias-ply tires on fairly skinny 6" wheels. The wheels currently on the car are relatively rare 14x7 wheels from a stock '72 SS Camaro. I have been looking high and low for an original set of "AM" coded 14x6 wheels with absolutely no luck (the original AM code spare is still in the trunk). Anyway, I recently found an original set of 4 "HF" coded wheels from a '70 Olds F85 and they appear to be exactly the same as the AM wheels. I bought them on Ebay for $110 plus another $138 for shipping...they look awesome and are basically perfect. I already had an F78-14 Uniroyal Laredo spare tire and recently found the other three F78-14 NOS tires and bought them. Two are Firestone Stratostreaks (don't you love '70s space-related names?), and one is a Goodrich Silvertown. I'm having the wheels bead blasted and will then repaint them with the original code 43 Citrus Green paint. The tires will only be used at shows. I'm planning on taking the car to the Supernats in Ypsilanti this July and see what reaction it gets. Bias Ply-2.jpg Bias Ply-1.jpg

Smokey15 likes this.
  7. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

A few Bias Ply-4.jpg Bias Ply-5.jpg Wheels-1.jpg Wheel-2.jpg more photos...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  8. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

DSCF3832.JPG DSCF3835.JPG DSCF3842.JPG DSCF3839.JPG DSCF3840.JPG DSCF3834.JPG I thought I would also post photos of the car's 4 buildsheets...I think this is somewhat unusual. The first buildsheet was found above the gas tank and is the upper right portion. It shows the car's build sequence number at the Van Nuys plant was "BL22971". There are numbers located at the bottom of the cowl plate that correspond to numbers in the box at the upper right of the sheet; "743062 25 0600". The car was built on 5-23-70 and its cowl tag has a date of "05D". The second buildsheet was found in the upper rear seat cushion and is for a Chevelle coupe, and according to Murphy's Law the only perfect buildsheet found in your car will be for a car that isn't yours. Its body number is "BL10288". I figured the two cars' body numbers would be consecutive, but apparently different consecutive body numbers were only used with cars of the same model. The 3rd buildsheet was found in the lower right bucket seat cushion and it is only the upper right portion. The 4th sheet was found behind the right inner fender's upper rear bracket...it is only a tiny portion of the upper right. I can repost this under another title ("4 Buildsheets Found in One Car") so others can read it if anyone feels that's necessary...I have a feeling that since this is a 6-cylinder car that some don't read about it and will miss some of the more interesting things about it since they're buried within this post.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Smokey15 likes this.
  9. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

DSCF3843.JPG DSCF3846.JPG Also found in the backseat was an empty L&M cigarette pack with a California tax stamp and a UAW matchbook with 2 matches remaining, so it appears that smoking was allowed on the assembly lines. Inside the glovebox and under the front seats were numerous matchbooks from the Los Angeles area, several Juicy Fruit gum wrappers, a McDonalds hamburger game token from 1983, and a lot of bobby pins for a woman's hair...all items left by the car's original owner, Dolores "Dodi" Baker.

10. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Somewhere there might be a Chevelle owner who wishes he had that Chevelle build sheet.
    A few years back I looked over a 70 Camaro in a local junkyard. It had a build sheet for a 70 Monte Carlo in the seat, but no sign of a Camaro build sheet.