1970 Camaro 6 Cylinder with a 3 Speed Manual

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by 70 Six Banger, Nov 3, 2019.

1. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

Wish I had a crystal ball back in '79. I ordered my '79 Z28 with the radio delete and I remember removing the black cover (I recall it was taped) that was under the dash where the center mounted front speaker went as well as the black plastic cover on the lower dash covering the radio opening. I can say with 100% certainty that both items went into the trash after I finished installing my choice of radio and speakers right after taking delivery of the car.

2. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

Gary, I am offering it to the owner...VIN 136370L194454. If anyone is connected to the Chevelle community, please let them know it's available to the owner. It's a shame the 3 buildsheets for my car were all just incomplete scraps.

And FLHT, I will post pics of the original radio delete plate and attaching hardware in a future post.

3. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

I have the protect a plate for my 72 also, it was bought in Iowa at a long ago closed up dealership

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Posted info on the Chevelle forum. Good deal there, someone might really like to have that.

5. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

Tom...thanks for posting the VIN on your Chevelle forum...I hope the car still exists and that the buildsheet can be reunited with it. LA...I grew up in Iowa in the '60s and '70s...glad to hear your '72 is a "Hawkeye". What dealership and town did it come from, and was it originally a 6-cyl car? I will probably make another thread that will just deal with recreating a 6-cylinder car, or I may just continue this thread since it neatly ties everything together. I would like to see some pictures of your '72...it would be nice if you could post them on here. Best regards to all on here, Alex.

6. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

70 Camaro-1.jpg This was Froggy when I got her. The previous owner was converting her into a "hot rod" before his wife lowered the boom and told him he had to sell her...women! He had tossed out the original 14x6 inch wheels just a month before I bought the car. He still had the original beat-up and cracked grille and straight bumper, which I immediately put back on.

Smokey15 likes this.
  7. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Appreciate you sharing the info you discover with your car along the way.. Looking forward to seeing any pics you can share!

8. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

the UAW matchbook was cool!
    I found a paper drinking cup in the bottom of the passenger side of my cowl that was from an assembly worker tossing it in there.

At a glance you might think something like, "how disgraceful" or "how lacking in care" for any of these assembly workers to throw trash in these cars when they were being built;
    From what I've read, they were under incredible pressure to get builds done in an almost oppressive manner - so taking time to go take your trash to a garbage container was (I'd assume) something that often would have compromised them getting build numbers...
    Because of this (iirc) there were strikes for three years in a row! - culminating in the gigantic strike during the 1972 model year.

9. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

Ram Air...they were probably under a lot of pressure to keep their work areas clean, so throwing trash in the cars under the seats and carpet was an easy way to accomplish that (my guess). I still haven't figured out why Norwood's workers couldn't stash the build sheets inside the cars when the opposite was true at Van Nuys.

10. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

DSCF4142.JPG DSCF4144.JPG DSCF4152.JPG DSCF4137.JPG DSCF4138.JPG I have been asked to post photos of some of my car's original components, so here goes. I am in the process of replacing the engine (which is a 1974 dated head and block...replaced sometime around 2000) with one from a 1970 C10 pickup. My car was built 5-22-70 and the engine block of the "new" engine is dated 4-30-70...pretty damned close. Anyway, I removed the hood and hood hinges and took some clear photos of the hinges which are apparently 1970-specific pieces. The right hinge has the number "524", the letter "W", and an "R" stamped into it. It also has light blue paint for easy identification on the assembly line. The left hinge has the number "525", the letter "W", and an "L" stamped into it...it is marked with darker blue paint. There are reinforcements welded onto the same portions of both hinges. The first photos are of the right hinge, the rest are of the left.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Smokey15 likes this.