1970 Camaro 6 Cylinder with a 3 Speed Manual

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by 70 Six Banger, Nov 3, 2019.

1. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

The block's driver's side is now virtually spotless and much of the factory orange paint is now exposed...it will look good at shows. The original Rochester Monojet carb was rebuilt last year and has excellent throttle response. The NOS GM temp sensor's yellow painted ring matches the original part which no longer worked. Also visible in this photo is the original TCS solenoid which has GM #1114431 on its underside. The last photo shows the exhaust manifold bolt next to the number 1 cylinder...it still has factory paint...until now the engine had never been apart. DSCF4228.JPG DSCF4231.JPG DSCF4235.JPG

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Dave Nelson and 70-camaro like this.
  2. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

The final cleanup of the head was completed last night and it was bolted on today. I placed the valve cover loosely on top of the engine and also the air cleaner so you can get an idea of the completed engine swap. DSCF4247.JPG DSCF4249.JPG DSCF4252.JPG DSCF4256.JPG

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Dave Nelson and 70-camaro like this.
  3. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

Here is a close-up of the carb's heat stove plenum and tube. Note it has its original screws and is in excellent condition. DSCF4259.JPG

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  4. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

I thought I would post a couple of pictures of the rear view mirror. Note the vanilla tree in the first photo...it harkens back to the '80's movie "Repo Man", eh? Humor aside, note that the metal mirror back was originally painted black and very little of it remains. The vinyl that frames the mirror surface is black, not gray. Not sure if this is common or uncommon for a '70 Camaro mirror. DSCF4237.JPG DSCF4238.JPG DSCF4262.JPG

5. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

I haven't posted anything on here for awhile and need to rectify that. I had to get Froggy's engine sorted out before I came back on here. As you may recall, Froggy's incorrectly dated 1974 engine was swapped for a 1970-dated engine that was assembled exactly ONE DAY after Froggy's original engine was assembled. The "new" engine was an unbelievable find, and its gorgeous 51 year-old patina perfectly matched Froggy's. As you may also recall, a compression check determined that the number 2 and 3 cylinders were only measuring around 25-30 psi, which turned out to be a bad head gasket (see earlier attached photos). But why did the head gasket blow between those 2 cylinders? After my buddy Scott and I completed the head gasket swap, we noticed that the engine was running rough for the first 30-45 seconds before smoothing out, and also that the engine was stumbling and frequently backfiring when pulling away from stoplights. We had also noticed that the number 3 exhaust valve had receded about 3/16ths of an inch into the head, while all the other valves showed no apparent recession. Scott is an ace mechanic and felt that the number 3 valve lifter might be weak...he was right. I went to NAPA and bought a set of Speedpro lifters and new Felpro side cover gaskets, and we installed them. The result was no further backfiring and no further rough idle. While Scott and I did the lifters, we also replaced the crappy original valve seals and that got rid of Froggy's minor smoking issue.

Before closing I will tell you that I turned down a bonafide offer of $25k for Froggy from a car collector here in Columbus who has numerous other interesting cars (mostly GM muscle). He noticed all of the attention that Froggy was getting at a recent Cars and Coffee in Columbus, and he came over to see why it was getting so much interest. Before proceeding, I would like to say that when Froggy arrives at a show, she STEALS it! She literally drives people nuts with her originality and rarity (when is the last time anyone on here saw another 1970 Camaro with a 6-cylinder and a 3-speed manual?). I could've easily swapped an LS engine in and then the car would receive almost no attention. The guy who wanted to buy it said it is the most original Camaro he has seen in many years and how refreshing it was to see something like it that is virtually untouched. I would rather drive a 6-banger Camaro that is completely original than race around in an LS-swapped Camaro. The attention it generates (and the satisfaction it provides my soul) more than make up for its lack of power. The offer of $25k was flattering (and 3 times what I paid for it 3 years ago), but as we all know $25k hardly buys anything worthwhile these days (and nothing as cool and interesting as Froggy)...I'm not about the money...I could really care less. And I guarantee that Froggy will do nothing but increase in value as time moves forward, because it is being kept ORIGINAL.

DSCF4440.JPG DSCF4442.JPG DSCF4453.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  6. checkmate201

checkmate201 1970 SS 350 4sp 06 C

A big thank you for keeping it what is was when it was new. Always nice to see them in stock form.

7. 70 Six Banger

70 Six Banger Member

Thank you very much, Checkmate...it is my pleasure and honor to preserve this car for future Camaro buffs (at the top of that list is my 8 yr-old son...it will go to him someday). I have been involved with Camaros since 1980, and also many Novas, and I have repeatedly seen guys with extremely original rare Chevys absolutely destroy them with basically nonsensical and useless drivetrain swaps in order to make their cars the fastest of the fastest (how often does a guy need to use 500-800 hp...just dumb in my opinion). I appreciate guys who have restored original cars that they will pass on to future generations, and don't butcher them for the sake of stroking their inflated egos. I understand the desire to go fast, but that can be accomplished with factory parts that don't butcher a car's heritage. Mark Donohue's '67-69 Zs had 450-500 hp Traco-prepared 302s, which are more thrilling to me at full wail than any LS engine. Don't get me wrong...I appreciate modern Camaros with LS engines...the engines that GM designed and built for them.

Two years ago I bought a '69 Camaro that still had its original 250 6-cylinder and ultra-rare air-cooled Torque Drive transmission (it was based on a Powerglide...almost none were built, and only a few survived). The trans was needing a rebuild and I tracked down the NOS parts necessary to rebuild it exactly as it had been built. I made the hard decision to sell it as my wife's health is slipping due to cancer, and I refused to sell it to anyone who could not provide me with a 100% assurance that it would remain completely original. The buyer was a fellow member of the VCCA (Vintage Chevrolet Club of America), and the owner of a couple of other interesting and original 6-cylinder Chevys. I knew he wouldn't screw with it.

I hope I am not hurting anyone's feelings on here with my remarks about LS swaps, but I am absolutely sick of them. I am willing to carry the banner for the guys willing to preserve what I feel are the most beautiful Camaros ever built ('70-'73s), and if I am seen as some kind of fool, then so be it. It is within only the last 3-5 years that I have seen the market for 6-cylinder Camaros slowly inch up, and when I see one at a show (which is almost never since almost none have survived), I am seeing larger numbers of appreciative people checking them out. I have seen the comments on sites like "Barnfinds.com" (etc.) where most of the guys are talking about LS swaps into the last few remaining 6-cylinder Camaros...yuck. If someone wants to take a trashed-out '70 shell and put an LS in it, then good for him. Just don't take something that is irreplaceable and destroy it. Within the last few months I spotted an absolutely perfect white '72 base Camaro on Craigslist-Boston with a blue interior, an automatic, and a 250 6-banger ruined by the moron selling it. He swapped the original drivetrain for a V8 and erased the cars incredible originality. If a guy has an original 6-cylinder car and wants a V8, then sell the 6 and go buy a V8-equipped car (they outnumber the 6s by at least 1,000-1). Once the original parts are removed, you and I know that they will never be put back to original...they are only original ONCE.

In the last photo you can see the 4 cooling holes in the Torque Drive transmission's bellhousing which allowed cooling air to get to the torque converter. The torque converter had cooling fins which drew air into the holes. There were no cooling lines from the radiator, and all of the shifting had to be done by the driver...the procedure was to start out from a stop while in first gear, then shift to 2nd around 20-30 mph...it was a manually-shifted automatic. If I had swapped in an LS engine and 700R4 to be "cool", then this priceless piece of Camaro history would have been destroyed. It is another Camaro that I feel will do nothing but increase in value as the years go by. DSCF3570.JPG DSCF3583.JPG DSCF3574.JPG DSCF8379.JPG

Thanks again for your interest and thoughtfulness.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  8. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

neat!!

I agree that car's are only original once, and if it's all original, it's way cooler to fix it up as built.

I am also with you on the LS swaps.
    I am seeing even high horsepower musclecar era cars getting LS swaps, which i find to be absolutely sickening;
    If a donor car without a drivetrain ect is resurrected with an LS, sure I get that - but I'm all for original or different.

checkmate201 likes this.
  9. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I for one appreciate your attention to detail on retaining it's originality. :bowtie:

Bamaro likes this.