1970 Camaro quarter skins

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Motorhead3, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Motorhead3

Motorhead3 New Member

My first post. Been looking because I hate to ask what's already been covered but I couldn't find my info. I've been working on my 1970 for about a year now and decided to see what was under the cheap aftermarket 3 piece spoiler that was bondoed in to the car. The guy who did it must of been a sculptor. Found out my tail light panel and quarters, between marker lights and top of bumper ends were bent in and bondoed. Just starting to fit my new aftermarket tail light panel and seems to fit pretty good. I got after market skins that fit good except at the tail light panel. Looks like enough metal but stamped at the wrong angle. I'll need to add an inner lip to tack to the tail light panel. Any one run into this? Wheel wells and lowers would just need small rust patches if it wasn't for the damage, so I'm probably going with outer wheel houses and trunk drop offs. I'd like to have some pictures with measurements of stock quarters in this area. I know full quarters are the way to go but I got these cheap, I think I can make them work.

Attached Files:

2. steins70z28

steins70z28 Veteran Member

Here's a few from my 70 orig. quarter. Tried to keep the tape level with the body line. Hope this helps. 20180222_170133.jpg 20180222_170120.jpg 20180222_170222.jpg

3. Motorhead3

Motorhead3 New Member

Excellent. That's the same measurement as my skin panels except the bend looking down from the top is about 45 deg, I think it should be closer to 90. If you get me a shot looking down from the top and one from the back, measure top and bottom? I'll be ready to cut and weld. I really appreciate it. Pulled on mine with my stud gun and dollied, still almost a half inch short down by the marker light. just wanted it close as possible to get a rough fit on the light panel. Once I'm happy with that I'll start the quarters.

Attached Files:

4. steins70z28

steins70z28 Veteran Member

Here's some more pics. 20180222_215951.jpg 20180222_220010.jpg 20180222_220333-1.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Motorhead3

Motorhead3 New Member

Just what I was looking for. Now if my welding is as good as your pictures I can do this. If not I cut out more metal and put in full quarters. Thank you

6. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

full quarters are the way to go. the skins require a LOT of body work and filler. I've done a few and unless there is no other choice....