1970 Camaro Rear Shock Replacement

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Robert M Mrozek, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Robert M Mrozek

Robert M Mrozek Veteran Member

I am trying to purchase replacement REAR shocks for my 1970 Camaro. The current shocks (see attached pictures) have an approx 2 in extension. I am not sure if this extension is normal or something the prior owner did. Without the extension the shock is too short. I am trying to select rear shocks replacements that do not require this extension. Any advice on why this extension is required? Any idea if a longer shock, like a 22.5 in, is the best solution? Thanks.
    IMG_4150.jpg
    IMG_4157.jpg

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

With factory suspension, any factory replacement shock will fit without any extensions. Extensions are a "patch" for modified suspensions.

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Someone cobbled that on there to make a short shock work, or to compensate for a lifted rear spring. If you have stock ride height, or close, any stock height shock will work.

ronzz572 likes this.
  4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Leaf spring shackles to raise the rear end usually required those type of kludges. I remember a guy in high school had to add two of those in-line on a Nova

5. mjoc

mjoc Veteran Member

just measure and you can order shocks that will fit Call Koni or Bilstien or QA1