1970 Camaro Rear Wheel to Inner Fender Clearance

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Robert M Mrozek, Aug 10, 2021.

1. Robert M Mrozek

Robert M Mrozek Veteran Member

1970 Camaro with Rear: P275/40R18 Nitto Nt555 G2 Summer Ultra High Performance Tire with recently installed UMI 2in lowering kit. My driver's side rear tire is slightly rubbing the inner fender lip. At the fender lip seam where the outer panel and inner fender meet. I think I need about 3/16 in clearance to reduce the rubbing. I thought about rolling the fender but the outer fender has bondo in it so I am concerned about cracking the bondo and making the situation worse. Perhaps slowly removing a segment of that inner lip with a fine metal file? Or perhaps some other solution other than getting new wheels and tires. Any suggestions? Thanks!
    IMG_6350.jpg IMG_6345.jpg IMG_6353.jpg

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Your wheel tire combo isn’t ideal. You roll the lip to clear the lip, not the outer fender well. You can always cut it a weld a pocket for it to clear.

3. Robert M Mrozek

Robert M Mrozek Veteran Member

I ended up removing about 1/4 in of inner fender lip with a cutting wheel and then grinding it smooth....problem solved...by a hair though. It is close.

4. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Really nice wheels!

5. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Any full pics of your car with those wheels?
    I ran those on my 73 but with black centers.
    Been considering them for my 70.

6. streak

streak Member

Looks like you have 2 separate issues. If it's rubbing where your arrow is pointing then it would help but a bad idea when there's bondo. Cut and repaint. Where you have a visually evident rub mark on the inner there are only 3 fixes. You either buy a different offset wheel, buy a narrower tire, or as mentioned try to weld a clearance pocket in the inner fender.

7. 73standard

73standard Veteran Member

Which wheels and offset are those? I'm trying to pick out new wheels now and those roughly look like something I was seriously considering.