1970 Camaro Restofy

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by giggity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

assembly checklist

So I've created a assembly checklist for the motor. I used to be a mechanic 20 years ago, and have worked on just about everything. I haven't assembled a motor completely in 20 years, so its a little nerve wrecking. Im confident that I can do it, but I just have that underlying doubt in my head that says "DONT F IT UP". I'm doing my homework on things, trying to be methodical. Seeing other builds gives me a lot of courage and motivation, which is why I love these forums.

2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

HOAs can be a huge pain in the butt!! Fortunately my new one is pretty good. A neighbourhood busybody complained about my MG parked in front of the garage, saying we weren't allowed to have abandoned cars sitting out front and it brings down the property values. Considering it isn't abandoned (It just hasn't moved!) and the HOA hasn't said anything about it in the 9 months we've been living there she can go pound sand!

3. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

The rule is a little stupid, other neighbors have cars parked out front. I keep it clean, no debris, just as if it were running. In fact I have people stopping by and asking me about my car all the time, so to me its quite the opposite. But I can see where they dont want the camaro up on blocks kinda of look.

The sad thing is I have a 4 car garage 2 deep and 3 wide, my wife's saturn sky, my 2011 camaro, 1 bay for tools, work bench, and such, and the other is full of yard tools. Im waiting on the HOA to approve a storage building to move the yard equipment, so they are essentially preventing me from moving the car inside by not approving the storage building. At least thats how I see it!! :confused:

4. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

brake setup

So before I had the proportioning valve setup 90 degrees to the master cylinder like this:

[​IMG]

so I decided to clock the proportioning valve bracket to make it parallel to the master cylinder.

[​IMG]

made my own lines, bought a double flare tool and a few short pieces of straight tubing, of course the parts store didn't have exactly what i needed, so I modified the ones I bought, spent 20 bucks on brake lines and fittings. I used a 1 inch socket in vise to bend them, turned out pretty good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

so yesterday I vacuumed car out for the first time in about 20 years.

[​IMG]

Besides the godawful green color the interior has held up pretty well. Ill need a new dashpad, new carpet, headliner, I want to change everything to black.

For those who notice, those arent the original seats. I have the originals, the person I bought the car from said theses seats came out of a Toyota, honestly they look like they belong in the car.

[​IMG]

Anyone want to trade black seatbelts for Green? LOL

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Now I need to start piecing together my gauges. I really like the dakota gauge sets, but im going to wait until I start gutting the enterior. I want to get the drivetrain right before hitting the interior.

Here's my makeshift gauge cluster from 20 years ago, I was ahead of the game, lol.

[​IMG]

Im going to do the LED bulb upgrade for sure.

7. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

getting the rear brake line setup was a challenge. The aftermarket master/booster moved the default location of the proportioning valve, and removing the 1970 brake line configuration made the rear line an issue.

I determined the line needed to be a 9/16 18 thread, 1/4 tube, so I went to Oriellys auto parts and miraculously they had exactly what i needed. didn't expect that. Then to mate them up I had to buy a coupler. And yes I pooched the line a little bending it. I think it will be ok. If not I know where to get another.

[​IMG]

The other option was to rerun the rear brake line...which I really didnt want to do.

So hopefully tonight Ill get the system bled and look for leaks. God willing, no leaks, I can move the car inside the garage and start prepping for the engine build.

Going to remove the core support and anything I can take off to get powder coated.

8. jester0618

jester0618 Veteran Member

Looking at the flare, it looks like a ridge sticking up, almost like the second part of the flare never bent downward.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

9. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

[/QUOTE]

I think I fixed it, I had to redo one of them. I took a few pictures here and there. Im going to find out if it leaks tonight.

10. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

finally got underneath the dash to hook up brake pushrod. Which was a PITA, had to lay the seat completely flat and shimmy my big ass under the dash, not fun. Ill need to get back under there to hook up the neutral safety switch, not looking forward to that.

[​IMG]

I went ahead and bought some speed bleeders, they seemed to work ok, and I bought some clear tubing, duct taped the hoses to the bleeders and duct taped to some red solo cups. Bled the system, no leaks......yet.

I wont really know until I get the car on the road and put a vacuum on the booster whether it all works right.