1970 Camaro Restofy

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by giggity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

its slightly angled up on the rear. Ill have to see how this looks once its on a level surface from the side. I dont think its very noticeable right now, but its an easy fix to get it level.

2. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Got her out and drove around the neighborhood a few times. I desperately need to adjust the clutch. Its lunging in gear while creeping , could be a little bit of carb, gearing......but in general what is a good clutch adjustment method? Its a centerforce clutch, stock components. There is a bit of free play in pedal. Pretty sure I have the adjustment rod out a fair amount, meaning I made it longer. I know this is a loaded question, but curious if anyone has a good start from scratch method of adjusting.

20200905_181150.jpg

plugged in parking lights...just for fun...

20200905_181127.jpg

3. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

Awesome progress man. Are you planning on spraying color yourself or taking it to someone to finish? I am to a point where I think mine could be wet sanded/puddy filler. My goal was to take my bodywork as far as I can, then have a professional spray color on it.

4. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

doing myself. Just waiting on weather to cool off a bit, I tried getting out there and sanding last month, and was sweating all over the metal...once we get into the high 80s, I will go full boogy into body.

Using SPI single stage black, 2k primer, ganna keep doing it until its right. If rather spend 100 hours(probably more like 500, lol) and make it right than pay someone to do a half-ass job. This way if its screwed up in any way, its my fault. I dont think I would do well with spending 4-5k and getting a crappy paint job.

5. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

I hear you. I was hoping to spray mine too, but I don't think that I could convert my garage to a paint booth perfectly, and still achieve a good result. I have sprayed a few coats of primer on mine, which has been very forgiving. I have also had some problems with my compressor killing pressure switches. I think it is because I am probably running it hot, then it is pulling in moisture from it being so hot/humid outside, then moisture arcing out the contacts in the switch. I've seriously put 3 new pressure switches on mine since February. I've looked into upgrading my compressor, but have not made the commitment yet. There is a nice 60 gallon, 3.7hp 2 stage at Lowes for under $600 that I have had my eye on. It is basically a Campbell Hausfield in a Kobalt wrapper.

Are you going to spray it at your house in Pearland? I have seen a few booth rental spots in the Houston area that I have considered. I have never sprayed color before, but still might consider it. I understand what you mean about dropping $4-5k on paint job that isn't perfect. I am hoping to be out of pocket for under $3k. I know paint is probably going to be $1,000 alone, but I also am hoping to have the car in a position to only need minor touchups, then shoot color/clear once I take it to painter. Fingers crossed!

6. xten

xten Veteran Member

As far as conditions go, yeah, a perfect booth is the ultimate. But I was a tech rep for a PPG store, and they used to send me out to shops that had problems with our product. You can't believe some of the conditions I've painted in with decent results. I've painted on dirt floors,shops with no exhaust fan at all, spraying right out in the middle of the shop,cats running around the shop, and the scariest one for me was spraying right next to a red hot pot bellied stove. Thought we were all going to go into orbit. I could write a book about some of these conditions.
    Point being, you really don't need ideal conditions to get good results. Practice on something that doesn't matter. You'll figure it out and get good results. The booth at my shop was 160K new when all said and done, but we still get dirt in the paint occasionally, it happens,(and my fault) but it's nothing a piece of sandpaper and a buffer can't fix.

giggity likes this.
  7. 75Maro

75Maro Veteran Member

My cousin has been fighting his FI TECH system lately. After being stranded twice and hours online with tech support they determined the PCM was faulty and sent out a replacement. Not to alarm you just a heads up

8. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

oh yea, well aware of the issues I might face, im on several FiTech pages and forums. Im keeping Carb, and my setup allows me to go back to carb very easily. From what I can tell, a lot....not all FiTech issues have been from improper installation. Of course there has been a lot of issues out there with bad product, but I got the setup really cheap from a guy fed up with messing with it. There are a lot of people really happy with it, and I wonder if its one of those deals where you only hear of issues, and not so much with success.

75Maro likes this.
  9. lhorne81

lhorne81 Member

I am all about trying to spray color myself if possible. I think I could get my garage in a clean enough position to spray color, I guess I am just afraid of screwing up something so costly. For me, spraying color looks like an expensive learning experience given the cost of paint. Do you have any recommendations on learning how to spray color in a more cost effective manner? Again, I would love to spray the color on my car in my garage, but I anticipate paint & clear alone for my car to be in the neighborhood of $750-$1,000. If paint were cheaper, I'd totally be willing to give it a shot. I don't think I could forgive myself if I spent that amount of money on paint, only to have to strip it and redo it.

10. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Look at Quincy compressors, they have a pretty good product. I think I got mine on sale at Lowes for 800, look at reviews on them, Quincy seems to have a better reputation, and if you buy the oil change and send in warranty paperwork it gives you a 5 year warranty.

I bought a automatic drainage solenoid on amazon, hooked up to drain, empties tank every 30 minutes. works great! I still have water in lines, with desiccant filter, water traps, and tank drain solenoid. The humidity here in pearland is ridiculous.

I will convert garage to paint booth, turn car sideways, and put up plastic, spray water on floor, i have box fans to help create a negative pressure, and will change out desiccant filter when I get ready to paint. my current gameplan is to remove the fenders sand and epoxy, then sand and paint all removable parts like front end, nose, trunk lid, fin. Im still trying figure out how to do my stripes since they will need to be done when the car is fully assembled.

I have some more work to do before all that, I need to paint dash, and probably going to spray interior metal with a coat of epoxy.