1970 Camaro Restofy

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by giggity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Depends on what kind of paint your going with, I chose SPI. They have have a really good following, and cost is very affordable. I chose to go single stage, I think black looks better in single stage, this is arguable, lol.

basecoat-clearcoat is more work, and more of chance to mess up painting in a garage. from what ive read single stage is more forgiving if you screw up.

2. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

we have some good weather here in Texas, so ive been busy pushing forward.

Decided to put the FiTech Fuel injection on, only been sitting on it for a year...

Pulled Demon Carb off. I bought the FiTech used from another camaro guy, it came with the spacer figured it would be good idea to use it. Had to buy longer carb studs.

20200920_122214.jpg

Since the regulator I was using is both for Fuel injection and carbs, I have to change the low pressure spring out to put the high pressure spring in.

20200920_113053.jpg

20200920_113056.jpg

20200920_113127.jpg
    installation was pretty easy, its not controlling timing at this point, I want to be sure its working good before pulling distributor.

just had to put intake temp sensor in , O2 sensor, and wire everything up. I know if looks like a rats nest, but this will be one of the last things I do under the hood. Plan is to hide everything under fenders and install a fused junction block. Im still researching these, and where to install.

20201002_211616.jpg

3. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Throttle response is incredible. It really woke my big block !! I have an issue where it creeps up idle, but it needs to learn, and there are some settings I need to review. But honestly it started right up and was running great!!!

dave@ztech and Jodi like this.
  4. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Pulled the fenders off, hopefully for the last time to epoxy them.

20201004_142032.jpg

My buddy theat has the dustless blasting rig blasted the upper trunk deck piece. Clean as a whistle and ready to be epoxied.

Sanding the AMD fenders inside and out.

20201003_190234.jpg

20201003_190225.jpg

On a side note, I've read several opinions both sides of whether or not to sand down the coating from AMD. (most people say sand them down and epoxy)

well here is definitive evidence to 100% sand them. These 2 spots, I barely touched them and coating just peeled off.

20201004_143347.jpg

20201003_131749.jpg

dave@ztech likes this.
  5. branbell

branbell Veteran Member

I have my car at the body shop and had brand new fenders from them with the coating in tact...they wanted to sandblast them just to make sure they were clean.

Glad they did because underneath that coating was surface rust that I'm sure could have gotten worse as the years went on.

giggity likes this.
  6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

The test I was told by a body guy was to take a rag with a little bit of solvent on it and rub the fender, and if the black rubs off you have to take them down to metal. Well that test passed, but I had planned to epoxy the underside so I had to scuff up that coating to lay down the epoxy anyways...glad I did. The epoxy would have probably sealed it, but who knows when it would have lifted.

7. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

had to readjust my drivers side door, hopefully this is last time I mess with doors, they are kinda a PIA when fenders are on.

started taping off everything.

Plan is to scuff/sand the dash and cowl and put a final coat of epoxy down. Not sure if I want to put top coat or just leave Epoxy. Ive heard sun will fade it, and you dont want gloss paint on dash.

while I spray the fenders, and I have a few spots on the front upper and lower valence that need to be fixed, sanded, and epoxied.

Goal is to get all body back together in the next month, final alignment , final filler, and put down 2k to start sanding.

20201005_183410.jpg 20201005_183416.jpg

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  8. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Epoxy doesn't like UV - confirm that with your materials specs, but that's what PPG says. And no you don't want gloss, or even color - it will reflect into the windshield - go with satin black.

Great progress, and badass motor!

hubedobeedo likes this.
  9. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Thanks! im currently researching it, from what ive read they recommend a flat black paint, depending on how its mixed determines the sheen. Problem is they only sell the flat black paint in gallons. All I need is a quart. I really dont want to waste the rest of the gallon, so im trying to find something else to paint! I might have some patio furniture I can paint.

dave@ztech likes this.
  10. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

did some more sanding on front fenders. Found more rust spots under the coating.

20201017_122936.jpg

20201017_123507.jpg

20201017_130508.jpg

20201017_132025.jpg