1970 Camaro Restofy

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by giggity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

rested fenders on the car , just barely bolted in, but cant wait to get everything lined up so I will never have to remove them again! Plus my garage is a mess, I need to pull everything out and scrub floors. Will probably do that the next warm day I get.

one thing I find interesting is the 2 different batches of epoxy. The fenders are the "old" batch and the rear of the car is the "new" batch. Im curious if they changed up their paint.

20210209_081831.jpg

70ZED and peteegger like this.
  2. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Maybe paint was at end of pot life?

giggity likes this.
  3. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

brand new gallon of paint. I think the gun might have gummed up a little. I was talking to a buddy who used to do auto body work, and he asked me a few questions about sequence of what i did. The paint spec sheet strictly requires 30 minutes between coats at 70 degrees. He said between each coating I should have taken tip off and cleaned. He said depending on paint, temp, gun, tip size, needle, and how much activator it could start to gum up tip. And I did notice when I cleaned the gun, the tip had a small collection of paint. So id say its plausible what he's saying.

So next time Ill try cleaning the tip between coats.

4. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

I mean: The paint that you mixed started to harden. Pot life is the amount of time you have before it starts to harden. If your mixing proportions are off, or if you use the wrong temperature hardener/catalyst/whatever, it will go off faster.

giggity likes this.
  5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

oh yea I see what you mean, duh....lol

....It only sat for maybe an hour before use. I usually give it at least 30 minutes to brew before using. Im using medium activator, so should give me a little bit of time, and used a mixing cup, pretty sure I mixed right.

6. Vsolo

Vsolo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don't have the talent to do the work myself (I did my research and talked to the main guy who does the work) but I have a place that is trustworthy and has reasonable hourly rates for Vintage Air & for the Dakota Digital install. They do them a lot and are very familiar with both systems.

I originally was just doing the AC and the shop said it was back-ordered and it took 8 weeks to show up.

MEANWHILE, I was looking at the Dakota Digital site for the new 2nd Gen gauges & the more I looked at the RTX it has the capabilities to add things I eventually want to add
    I emailed the shop and they mentioned they have stuff on order already and there was a 14-week backorder & did I talk to them yet.

I called Dakota Digital and they said it would be 12 to 14 weeks for the part to show up, Well I've been waiting 10 years to do this & I do have the money saved :)

Back to Vintage Air, they have brackets to move the compressor to the right-hand side of the ending

We had a good discussion about running the hoses to the Compressor and Right side of the engine & moving the Alternator to the left side.

I'm writing down all the items that will be ordered so we are in agreement on what needs to be ordered.

Are you aware that the relays for the electric fans can be controlled by the RTX gauges?

Did you notice your need for the Gear Shift Sensor so you can see it on your dash.

Also since I'm in this deep I figured I might as well get Cruise Control

Here is what I sent to the shop. I hope this helps anyone doing this install.

RTX-70C-CAM-X
    https://www.dakotadigital.com/index...id=1156/category_id=422/mode=prod/prd1156.htm

DIM-1
    https://www.dakotadigital.com/index...ct_id=404/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd404.htm

Gear Shift Sensor
    https://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm?ptype=product&product_id=1222&category_id=401&mode=prod

Digital Dash - 1970- 78 Camaro RTX Instruments RTX-70C-CAM-X
    Light Dimming Knob DIM-1
    Gear Shift Sensor

I have Digitail lights so I also need the 30 Amp relay

Single 30 amp relay pack with socket RLY-1

Ask Will would it be better because of the Fan Relay

Dual 30 amp reversing polarity relay pack with socket RLY-2
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cruise Control

https://www.dakotadigital.com/index...duct_id=46/category_id=-1/mode=prod/prd46.htm

Cruise Control for Cable Driven Speedometers CRS-2000
    Cruise Control Handle HDN-3
    Check & make sure this is the right part for the dash I have
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also if you want to know what you need to do to install the Gauges :)

klowny1969 has a bunch of good videos, don't be fooled by his opening video :) He has good info

He has some other good videos for cross-referencing so things he missed

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=klowny+1969+dakota+digital+dash+

giggity likes this.
  7. Vsolo

Vsolo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Check to see if there is a local dealer or speed shop. That way you can talk to them and see if answer you without dealing with Summit. I have found their lack of knowledge about particular items not that good when I visited them at their showroom, I have a question about 2 different battery chargers by the same company and one was California & Oregon certified and the other one wasn't. The guy just look in the catalog and read me what I had read before I asked the question.

8. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Good stuff here!

On the shifter indicator, prerty sure that's just for automatics, could be wrong. I'm running m22.

On fan controls, I'm also running fitech furl injection, I haven't decided how I'm going to control fans, I bought a fan override switch, besides setting fan Temps, I can turn on fans anytime I want, or turn them off.

I bought GPS speedo for guages.

Dakota digital was back ordered for me too. Not entirely sure when I'll get it.

As far as vintage air, I'm running march pulley setup, I didnt want to relocate alternator, March has bracket to mount ac on passenger side under alternator. I went that route. Want to keep those hoses on passenger side.

I plan to do everything myself, but there is a local camaro guy who's done a lot of these vintage air setups, and has the hose crimper, I think he's going to come over and help me setup.

9. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Just noting something I came across only late in my VA install - if you're running electric fan(s), you want to get the trinary switch to kick the fan(s) on based on the demands of the AC system, irrespective of engine coolant temp. It is designed to work with a ground-controlled system - additional relays would be required if the system provides power rather than ground. Here's a link to some info: https://www.vintageair.com/university/wiring-diagrams-binary-switch-trinary-switch/

10. lapedr

lapedr Veteran Member Gold Member

Did your car originally have power brakes or did you upgrade?