1970 Camaro Restofy

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by giggity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The pass door gap does look a little tight. The gap between the fender and the door isn’t that far off from spec. You might still need work if you want them perfect. It looks like when you close the gap, the tip on the fender where the body line is will be tight

giggity likes this.
  2. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

The body lines look looks like they line up really well. To get the door further in as opposed to the fender further out can the hinges be pushed in towards the car? I didn't do it on mine because I made dowel holes through the whole hinge assembly so they were good when I rehung the doors but I wonder if that's an option.
    If you had a ten foot framer level you could put it across the whole side of the car and see what if anything needs changing.

giggity likes this.
  3. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I drilled the guide holes as well, but hung doors by myself, and had a hard time lining up the holes and holding the door at same time, so I just got it close.

There should be room to move it forward, I just need to get a friend over to help me do it. Its really a 2 person job.

4. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I hear you. I had rags and a board on a floor jack in the center of the door while I wiggled it around to line everything up. Our doors are HEAVY and it was a PITA!

giggity likes this.
  5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

finally got my vintage air in. Only took 2 months. Now I need to plan the install. Issue is that Ive been eyeballing the Upgraded American Autowire setup, and Im considering beefing up the wiring. I need to do something with my wiring, and havent gotten a gameplan, but I know that I do not want to get back into the dash after everything is installed. My existing wiring is in good shape, but feel that maybe this would be a good investment.

20210304_131410.jpg

20210304_131402.jpg

6. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I am jealous. I want Vintage Air but, it is not in the budget right now.

giggity likes this.
  7. rotinrob

rotinrob Veteran Member

Camaro doors are heavy but even with more than one person a floor jack, a board, and two bottle jacks for fine tuning (one in the front and one in the back) is the only way to do it. Did mine by myself, did most everything on my car by myself including putting the trans in. Just about killed me but I had so much build momentum going after installing the engine (by myself) that I didn't want to stop. The GM wrench, though a pain, works to get at the bolts with the fender on. I used gage pins to measure the gaps but a drill will work.

Looking at putting the Vintage air factory upgrade in my Monte this year (the original system is toast and the modern compressor is much better than the A6 that was in it)

rotin

giggity likes this.
  8. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

yea, its expensive, but this was the wife's request, I was ok not having ac. She said if shes going to ride with me, "it better dam have AC", lol. I complied....ha!

[email protected] likes this.
  9. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Epoxy primer does not hold up to UV. By the time it went to paint, the car's epoxy primer finish looked like well used chalkboard. I had the painter strip the car to bare metal.

Amen and knock wood!

giggity likes this.
  10. linenoise

linenoise Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

How did you go on the condenser and lines? custom ones you press?