1970 Camaro Restofy

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by giggity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Put hood on, I just realized the hood doesnt fit with the current air cleaner setup, anyone running cowl induction hood, and what air cleaner you using? Im considering making it a functional cowl induction hood, meaning adding the engine separator thingy.

20210414_113844.jpg

2. rotinrob

rotinrob Veteran Member

I have the cowl hood. They are intended to be made functional (you can buy kits to do this) but mine just has the air cleaner stuck into the hole. I'm using a standard aftermarket air cleaner at the moment. I intend to put the original hood back on it as soon as I can reskin the original as someone before me cut a big clearance hole. I now have the stock low rise and I want to showcase the original L78 dual snorkel set up plus keep it as close to original as possible.

rgs

giggity likes this.
  3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Look into a "drop base" air cleaner. I do not guarantee it will fit around the FiTech though. It may be a different shape than a Holley carb.

giggity likes this.
  4. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Where is it hitting, front, back?
    My buddies 68 hit the front I think, he bought an offset base which centered filter it in the cowl hole and it worked perfectly.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    giggity likes this.
  5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Im going to try messing with the adjustment of the hood a little and see if I can center the hood better. Ill take some better pics.

mrfleet12 likes this.
  6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

yea, I can easily go down 2 inches. I never realized there were so many different options on air cleaners, Ill have to do some digging on what works.

7. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Removed the air cleaner and trying to align hood. Its not terrible, but I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time trying to get this lined up correctly. Im still looking for someone locally who could simply just line everything up for me. I pride myself on trying to do things myself, but I would gladly pay someone at this point to get all my panels straight, and gapped correctly.

20210419_213801.jpg

8. linenoise

linenoise Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

totally agree. And looking all this time at your posts your better at body work than I am so if you think you are going to need help betting I will for sure. was kinda counting on adjusting till right.

giggity likes this.
  9. hwprouty

hwprouty Member

I just read through your thread, nice job!!
    Lotsa work!!

giggity likes this.
  10. rotinrob

rotinrob Veteran Member

My cowl hood has a terribly inconsistent gap along the top of the fender. It starts out nice and progressively gets wider towards the doors. The GM fenders really can't go in any further to help with the gap. I do need to reset the one door a bit for getter clearance of the edge guard but I doubt if that will help much. Being an aftermarket hood a lot of the time we either need to accept some poor fit or do some modification to get a better fit. I will also put the original hood back on to recheck the alignment with that hood as I intend to go back to the flat hood when I have time to reskin it as it has a big hole cut into it.

rotin

giggity likes this.