1970 Camaro Restofy

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by giggity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I wouldn't say I'm better, I'm just stubborn and persistent! (oh and I have a understanding wife, that helps)

2. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I sold the original hood, only because it was in my way. I had moved it at least 10 times, and finally convinced myself to get rid of it. It was perfect, no dings, no flaws, nothing, and I was sad to let it go, but I knew with the setup im running, it would never fit under that hood.

3. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

So gauges finally came in. Cant wait to get these wired up.

20210422_171807.jpg

4. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

So, finally resorted to busting out AC in garage. It went from nice weather, to 100% humidity and 80-ishe weather.

Ill need to figure out a way to vent this for long term use. I asked wife if I could cut a hole in garage door, and was emphatically told NO....ha!

This portable AC made it a little bit more comfortable, not sweating my ass off

20210429_205336.jpg

5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Started looking at wiring up Dakota Digital.

One thing that kinda sucks is that the FiTech uses a bus that is not supported by Dakota Digital. In other words, I cannot share sensors. I have to run both sets of temp sensors.

I have the Fitech in the intake and the Dakota Digital in Head. Head is always a better reading in my experience, but Im not sure how this will hold up long term with the heat. Ill need to get a heat shield.

20210429_205050.jpg

I also got a braided line to relocated the oil pressure sensor. I saw this on someone elses build, and I think its a good idea.

20210422_201558.jpg

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I was staring at this rats nest, and decided to go ahead and order the American Auto Wire upgraded wiring kit for the camaro. Im in this project elbow deep, might as well.

20210429_210650.jpg

20210429_210641 (1).jpg

[email protected] likes this.
  7. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yeah that stinks. I'm thinking about replacing my Speedhut Gauges because of that. My Megasquirt uses GM sensors but the Speedhut uses it's own sensors. It would be great if the ECU and the gauges used the same information and displayed it on the gauges.

giggity likes this.
  8. linenoise

linenoise Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I went back and forth on this. On mine the LS3 computer has all the data already. I went with the racepak setup which uses the ODBC port like dse did on their 2nd gen. Its not as nice as the holley dash but I did not want to replace the computer that came with the crate engine. hoping it works out, fit and function will. Just hope I like the screen size and readability.
    If not I will go with gauges later and figure it out.

giggity likes this.
  9. thesalboy

thesalboy Veteran Member

Absolutely - agreed. Get the Painless manual. AAW documentation is pretty much limited to schematics.

giggity likes this.
  10. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I feel your pain abut the panel alignment. I bought repro fenders and they would not line up no matter what I did. I even cut small slices off the insides here and there. Wound up doing the metal work to fix the old ones and everything still fought me the whole way. The door to fender gap has to be 3/8" in some places. I gave up with "good enough". The hood was the same.