1970 Camaro Restofy

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by giggity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I read about doing the studs and I like that idea. Definitely doing that!

2. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Ill take the heat over the cold, but its the humidity that kills me. 90 degrees and 100% humidity is tough. I envy dryer weather.

3. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Not much to report. Wife has had me busy on yard and house work.

I did order a complete interior hardware kit from F-body warehouse. I was looking through what I thought was pretty good organization efforts on my part, but I was either missing them taking things apart or I have them sorted and stored in a box somewhere that I cannot find.

Worst case , Ill have extras.

20210511_172332.jpg

4. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

pulled seats out last night and getting ready to prep the floors for paint and sound deadener.

I was planning on using paint on POR, but I have about a quart of Epoxy I might burn on interior. Not sure it really matters, Im just wanting the best seal as possible, especially under the sound deadener, car wont live outside but I am a bit concerned that the sound deadener would trap moisture. Again, probably overthinking this, but dont want any floor issues later on. The old factory carpet with jute, seemed to breath pretty good.

Also need to weld my 4 speed hump. Im thinking of just tacking it a few times and then running a bead of seam sealer. Not sure this thing needs to be fully welded. Anyone have suggestions on that?

And while I'm here I probably need to work on center console bracket. Although that can probably wait until later.

And......I had a thought of pulling column and painting it....ug...

20210511_191147.jpg

20210511_191142.jpg

20210511_191137.jpg

5. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

Just my opinion, but if moisture being trapped by sound deadener was a major concern, then I would think that companies like Dynamat wouldn't be in existence for too long. My 73Z is garage kept but it's not insulated and no AC. I get that Texas humidity in the summertime probably like you down there in Pearland, perhaps less so, but it's still a concern. Thinking about a dehumidifier, exhaust fan, or blower fan to keep the air moving around.

Right now, my biggest concern is the trunk mat trapping moisture. I'll have to pull it out now and then to check for any surface rust forming. My spatter paint is clear coated to protect it from marring, but I don't know if that will help protect it from moisture and subsequent rust.

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

yea, my garage floor is epoxied and sometimes is wet from the humidity. Im working on getting the garage fully insulated and have my portable AC unit exhaust vented. This will help on some of the extreme humidity. Probably just being paranoid....HA!

7. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

Lol, being a little paranoid is healthy!:)

giggity likes this.
  8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

When I got near the end on my interior, I bought a few bags of fasteners too. You will be glad you did, especially for the windshield pillar trim screws and other exact length and head "special type" screws.

9. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I had moisture issues under the trunk liner but it turned out to be from leaky tail light seals. With a good spatter paint job, I do not think you need to worry about rust too much.

giggity and BillyDean7173 like this.
  10. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

pulled most of the dash brackets out and blasted them in cabinet, and put a couple coats POR 15. Was going to Epoxy, didnt want to mix it up, Interior part shouldnt need anything special.

20210513_181643.jpg

75Maro likes this.