1970 Camaro Restofy

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by giggity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Worked on wiring a little, did rear piece. AAW setup, I borrowed the crimpers from a buddy near me, all I can say, is you really need the crimpers for this. took me a few mix ups on connectors to realize the connectors are separated by size. so the double wire and single wire connectors are slightly different, and its not obvious visually. At least not for me, it took me several comparisons to see the differences in the connectors. The instructions are ok, but dont go into that level of detail.

20210601_111235.jpg

One thing I didnt notice until after is that you have to cut the wire for the optional courtesy lights. I do plan to use under dash courtesy lights.

I also ran a separate power wire for my fuel pump, even though the harness has a built in fuel pump wire. I figure this is for future use, if I decide to run the relay back in the trunk for the fuel pump. Right now Fitech controls it, Ive heard of issues with this, so I will probably have the relay setup ready, just in case.
    20210529_122117.jpg
    the other thing Im curious about is the light kit in rear has a ton of grounds, do we run them all to 1 ground, or run a bunch of separate grounds with the star washers provided? I believe there are 6
    20210529_113823.jpg

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

Looks good to me, it'll work.
    Ground control to Major Tom...

giggity likes this.
  3. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I am installing Digi Tails LED tail lights, and they , each panel has a ground, and the side marker lights have a ground as well, I split it into two grounds , the tag lights, seem to ground to the body so no ground required , the factory had all the grounds into one , just an FYI .

4. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

yea, I believe it was grounded to the trunk release. It gave me separate star washer connectors for each ground, so I crimped them, I guess I could have just tied them all together in to one connection.

[email protected] likes this.
  5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Got most of the firewall covered. I think I have enough to do roof and doors.

20210601_202446.jpg

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Also mounted the inner rubber seal and outer rubber seal and trim to hump. Still need to get a rubber seal for the speedo cable hole. Im currently running the reverse light switch wires through the hole.

upload_2021-6-2_11-2-54.png

peteegger likes this.
  7. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

I like what you said about the fuel pump wiring. I noticed that the fast ez-efi set up I have has alternate fuel pump output in addition to the one they use with theirs. There's probably a reason for that.

giggity likes this.
  8. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

yea, my Fitech has a fuel pump relay built in that provides a variable 12 volts to my walbro in tank pump. FitTech says :
    The FiTech ECU for Go EFI systems has a special driver circuit that will drive the fuel pump directly, which means that an external relay is not needed. This driver circuit allows both PWM control (pulse width modulated), and direct internal relay drive of the fuel pump. This allows the voltage to be reduced when the fuel demand is low, such as at idle and light cruise.

Ive heard of people having issues with this feature, so my thought is that ill have a relay wired up, and take it with me in my tool box, in case it decides to stop working.

9. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

for those that have done AAW , where did you run the above column bundle? I really dont want to sandwich it between the column again like factory had it, but it seems like its in the way like this.

20210602_184643.jpg

10. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

As long as there is a return fuel line, I do not see variable pump control as absolutely necessary anyway.