1970 Camaro Restofy

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by giggity, Apr 6, 2016.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

It has expandability as well, you can connect different sensors in to extra ports.

It has a shift light, but haven't gotten engine to 5500 RPM yet. Need to change oil and re-tighten rockers before I hit higher RPM. Solid Roller cam....

Its electric sending unit, I bought this on Amazon to get it away from Z-bar

QuickCar Racing Products 61-71024 24" Long Steel Braided Gauge Line Kit
    upload_2021-6-15_13-39-21.png

2. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I guess I am not asking this right, the gauge needs oil to flow to it to work, instead of an electrical signal? I thought that there are two types of oil pressure gauges, one needs oil to tell the pressure and the other needs electric, to tell the oil pressure ,

3. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Im guessing it has power, based on the wiring....never really thought about it. Im curious why you ask? Is one better than the other? I'm vaguely familiar

upload_2021-6-16_7-58-51.png

4. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

OK, so it is a sensor, with no oil running to the gauge, I was wondering, I was just a little confused. Some prefer the mech gauge, where a line that is hollow, has actual oil from the engine running to the gauge and it is pressurized from the engine and the gauge reads that pressure and some believe it is better, not me as I had one, that kept leaking oil and was a real PITA to get it to work.
    Thanks

5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

No, I previously had an auto meter liquid filled mechanical gauge, and like you said it always leaked, the hose actually popped off the back of the gauge one time and spewed oil everywhere. only issue i have is im running a high volume oil pump, probably a mistake in the engine build, I had considered changing the spring out on pump to lower volume, but never did. Anyways it reads really high for the DD gauge, once engine heats up I think it will go down a bit, but gauge only reads up to 80. Cold startup oil pressure is around 90, using 10-30. Its a solid roller engine, so I might toy around with a slightly thinner oil, or synthetic at some point and see if it will drop the pressure a bit.

[email protected] likes this.
  6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

starting back on the AC.

got this firewall piece installed with a bit of seam sealer. was kinda a PIA by myself, you really need 2 people one person to tighten bolt and the other to hold the retaining bar behind it. Wife came out in garage, and said its too dam hot , and went back inside...lol

20210621_185928.jpg

7. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Started working on my kick panels, was going to paint last night with SEM black paint, but I need to confirm the install on the fresh air vent. I thought I read that you dont have to cut the kick panel if your car was originally an AC car. I contacted guy locally who has done a few of these, and he said you do have to cut. So Im debating whether I just want to order new ones instead of cutting up the original ones. They are in fair shape.

20210623_184036.jpg

Seems that this whole air vent will need to be removed.
    received_553761999126463.jpeg

8. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Since I was at a holding pattern with the vent, decided to start on installing March AC/ALT bracket

I had the March bracket setup before buying the Vintage Air setup, and compressor
    this is before.
    20210623_210525.jpg

I got to this point and could not make out the instructions. Fairly certain the bracket connects to the block, but not exactly sure how. The picture on the instructions suck.

20210623_220850.jpg

20210623_220902.jpg

also found that the compressor is going to hit my lower radiator hose. This hose was something I guessed on from parts store, looks like Im going to need to find something with a different angle.

20210623_220924.jpg

put alternator on, the little Alternator bracket is threaded for 3/8 in both holes, but the bolt that goes into the alternator is 5/16(i think, either way, its not 3/8). I looked online and this is by design...so essentially that threaded hole is going to be crap with that bolt moving around. Really bad design.

20210623_221649.jpg

So need to find a different lower hose, drain coolant, and order new kick panels.

9. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

in case anyone is interested, March sent me a color copy of the instructions....much better!

upload_2021-6-25_9-25-6.png

10. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Local parts store disappointed me again...just ordered belt and lower hose online.

Got Ac compressor installed.

this rear bracket is the adjustment for compressor. Once I get belt, I ll probably need to adjust. kinda a PIA to get to.

20210627_171557.jpg

put some rubber glove fingers over holes to keep garbage out until I can connect everything.

20210627_171528.jpg

They dont give you much room for lower hose, I have a feeling Ill need to remove pump to get the hose back on.

20210627_171601.jpg

mrfleet12 likes this.