1970 Camaro Restofy

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
after i was able to get it to idle right, I went ahead and put a vacuum on the AC system.

Ran vacuum pump for over an hour. first few minutes you could really see it pulling the moisture out of the system.

After running vaccum, I closed valves, I let it sit for about 2 hours, came back and needles didnt move. pretty sure its sealed up good.

20220109_121157.jpg

20220109_121204.jpg

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
I charged up system, called for 1.8 pounds, which is 28 oz. i roughly put in 2.5 cans. I was able to get about 46 degrees out of it, car was in garage, radiator fans on, but no air pushing on front. Seems slightly warmer than it should, but Id like to measure it with air flow on the front.

Put leak detector can in when I charged, so Ill be looking for leaks....if everything is ok, going to start buttoning up the dash. Just need to figure out radio situation.

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
Weather has been awesome here in Houston for the past week. Been trying to tweak idle more. I think I have a throttle cable issue, Im going to order a new cable bracket to see if the slight bind on the cable is causing the sticky throttle or if I have another issue with FiTech.

Bought stuff a while back to do first oil change and filter. I went Rotella and Wix filter, as per Murphy's law, the oil filter threaded tube was slightly boogered up. No idea how that happened. I didnt notice it until I was putting new filter on, so i guess next time if its an issue ill have to pull that oil filter mount off and clean up threads.

While underneath, I noticed I have a small front oil pan leako_O. If I have to take that miloden 7 quart pan off, pretty sure its not going to be a quick deal, thats going to be an all weekend project. Will most likely need to pull distributor, undo motor mounts, and lift engine as high as I can get....and that may not be enough. Not sure when this is going to happen. Only good thing that will come from this is the oil pan was that gold anodized coating, that I tried to paint. It currently looks terrible, the paint didnt stick even though I sanded and prepped the entire pan. Ill probably powder coat this time.

20220117_152625.jpg

20220117_135632.jpg

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
You sure it's coming from the pan and not the bottom of the timing cover? That's where my leak was. It was where the timing cover gasket sits on the pan gasket. Part of my leak was there between the two gaskets, not enough goop. (right stuff). The other leak was the crank seal in the timing cover. It had a cheap chrome timing cover on it when I bought it, so replaced that with a GM one. So far no leak.

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
I think there's a certain way to turn the crank to get some more clearance to pull the pan? Might look into that.

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
not to mention I have a windage tray
20160511_200404.jpg

...will cross that bridge later

This is probably my issue, I used a cheap aluminum timing chain cover I bought from one of those "suppliers" at a swap meet. I should have bought a GM one, or better quality. Or maybe its the 1 piece gasket.

20160513_232246.jpg