1970 Camaro Restofy

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
plan for this weekend is to recover the arm rests and paint the plastics on the door panels. Might assemble the door panels and put to side.

i bought some black vinyl online. luckily the old vinyl came right off the old foam.

20220707_190717.jpg

20220707_190711.jpg

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
summertime sucks for projects. Not enough time, and hot as hell.

Oh well, I got 1 done....kinda.

cut a piece of vinyl, luckily I had some 3m adhesive already.

20220710_130713.jpg

ill need to touch up the corners, not sure how to stretch the vinyl in the corners and make it stay. it almost feels like it needs a hog ring to keep it in place.

20220710_132354.jpg

20220710_132344.jpg

dcozzi

Veteran Member
May 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Put the vinyl in the sun for an hour or so. Makes it stretchy and mushy.
Did you get the correct Madrid Grain Vinyl of just go with some marine grade stuff?
Looks pretty darn good so far.

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
Put the vinyl in the sun for an hour or so. Makes it stretchy and mushy.
Did you get the correct Madrid Grain Vinyl of just go with some marine grade stuff?
Looks pretty darn good so far.
I bought from Albright supply, its called Denali Automotive black. I ordered a yard, but they sent 2 yards. Looks to be pretty high quality stuff. The Black is really close to the door panels I ordered. It should look good.

I think you are right, I may need heat. Im also thinking of putting in a few hog nose clips to pull it and keep it snug while the glue dries. Its pulled apart a few times, I tried clamps, but the clamps distorted the vinyl a little. I have plenty more material to play with!

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
not having much luck with the vinyl sticking to the metal. I think there is a buildup of glue and dirt on metal, and its not getting a good adhesion. I think I might try to pull apart the foam and metal, and sandblast the metal. then paint then retry to glue.

linenoise

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 17, 2000
CO
its really rare I see something in a post I have not seen on a 2nd gen. Been building owning and enjoying them for like over 35 years now. 1 I have never seen that mount on the side of stock radio. Did not know they used the radio for a dash support. 2nd putting the new style radio in a stock one is clever and I have never seen that done. That is slick. Great post Giggity.

Last edited:

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
its really rare I see something in a post I have not seen on a 2nd gen. Been building owning and enjoying them for like over 35 years decades now. 1 I have never seen that mount on the side of stock radio. Did not know they used the radio for a dash support. 2nd putting the new style radio in a stock one is clever and I have never seen that done. That is slick. Great post Giggity.
appreciate it!! Im trying to keep the interior as close to the 70 look as possible. I like the 70 look with all new bells and whistles. Really like this Dakota Digital gauge set, looks pretty close to stock, but its not! :)

Latest posts