1970 Camaro Restofy

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
not much done lately. Now that the weather is finally cooling off, im going to get back on it. Next step is setting gaps properly on doors and front end.

I did finally purchase Grundy insurance. I valued it at 40k. I figure that is what it should be worth when im done.

They required pictures, so I sent some dirty pics.

20220918_122702.jpg

20220918_122650.jpg

20220918_122633.jpg

20220918_122618.jpg

20220918_122607.jpg

20220918_122557.jpg

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
Was able to get a few things done on dash. Not much left to do besides clean up some wiring underneath.

scored some later model lap vents , only difference is 70 model has the chrome look. Im ok with the black vents.

20221008_133147.jpg

had to improvise on the bezel mount. Took some regular u-clips and ground down the front side. NPD dashes for some reason dont have anything to mount the bezel.

20221008_160914.jpg

20221008_165021.jpg

added cigarette lighter, not hooked up, just for looks. and radio knobs. Really like these Dakot digital gauges.

20221008_184344.jpg

20221009_123307.jpg

20221009_123252.jpg

thesalboy

Veteran Member
Mar 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Coming together nicely!

I think I had to use J/U-clips to mount the cluster, too. There are bosses and holes, but the holes are too big. Probably too hard to get the holes perfect for cluster alignment.

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
Got the reverse lights working. I thought it was switch on the 4-speed, but turns out the AAW circuit for reverse lights didnt have fuse. The AAW documentation didnt have anything describing which circuit the reverse lights is in. The diagram didnt show the correct fuse panel, I have upgraded blade panel. so after poking around the green wire and the panel looking for continuity it ended up being the gauges circuit. would not have guessed that circuit. Im not using it since Im using the Dakota Digital cluster which has its own power, I think i just wired it to an ignition source.

20221016_164221.jpg

also started working on carpet. Not as easy as I thought it would be. Really needed to heat up carpet first but just went forward with stiff carpet. Challenging to get carpet centered and pushed forward. Not to mention the passenger side kick panel is already on because of the vintage air setup, had to push carpet up under that panel , i really dont want to take that back off.

20221016_174807.jpg

hubedobeedo

3rd times a charm
Jul 18, 2013
Huntertown,IN
Got the reverse lights working. I thought it was switch on the 4-speed, but turns out the AAW circuit for reverse lights didnt have fuse. The AAW documentation didnt have anything describing which circuit the reverse lights is in. The diagram didnt show the correct fuse panel, I have upgraded blade panel. so after poking around the green wire and the panel looking for continuity it ended up being the gauges circuit. would not have guessed that circuit. Im not using it since Im using the Dakota Digital cluster which has its own power, I think i just wired it to an ignition source.

View attachment 149242

also started working on carpet. Not as easy as I thought it would be. Really needed to heat up carpet first but just went forward with stiff carpet. Challenging to get carpet centered and pushed forward. Not to mention the passenger side kick panel is already on because of the vintage air setup, had to push carpet up under that panel , i really dont want to take that back off.

View attachment 149241
had same problem with dash bezel used clips and i also ran fastener on both sides of steering column area(would have been for stock cluster) from back side to take some of the strain off the outside bezel screws. i used aaw kit to some of the info was not direct enough, but i got it, mine is auto. the carpet is it aac? thats what i used with mass back, it is stiff same problem on mine .i have center console and ended up cutting it down middle. looks sinister in black. looking good!

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
had same problem with dash bezel used clips and i also ran fastener on both sides of steering column area(would have been for stock cluster) from back side to take some of the strain off the outside bezel screws. i used aaw kit to some of the info was not direct enough, but i got it, mine is auto. the carpet is it aac? thats what i used with mass back, it is stiff same problem on mine .i have center console and ended up cutting it down middle. looks sinister in black. looking good!
yup AAW, decided to go plush instead of weave, its more poofy so I think its harder to lay down. Friend suggested I get a steamer and heat it up when i lay it down.

I have a fifth gen console I want to use, but have not tackled how to mount it yet. I was going to try to make a bracket, but that hasnt happened yet. I kinda like the simple look without console, but I know I want a cup holder.

Latest posts