1970 Camaro RS/SS Restomod

[email protected]

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 27, 2016
NY
Little high for the side markers , if you are referring to the red and yellow, ones.
Trim Parts has a really nice repro on that part, really looks good for a lot less, you might want to consider

linenoise

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 17, 2000
CO
Yup totally agree Dave. I told him same thing. his response was the trim parts one do not show side lettering on them. I am not caring that much about stock look. want it to look stock on the outside basically but with huge billet wheels and fentres glass its not going to look stock anyways. told him to save the parts for a NOS build car. I am kinda thinking about the bumpers. Grill not so much, his NOS ones have right chrome on front edge but not caring too much on that same as markers.

[email protected]

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 27, 2016
NY
I got the double chrome plated ones, look really nice, and I am sure that they perhaps , don't have the bends and twists, who would really notice, they look like the stock ones I have , except , they shine really nice!! They are also less then that price. They are made and plated chromed overseass, then sent to a plater in the USA, and done again,
camaro 472.JPG
camaro 472.JPG

linenoise

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 17, 2000
CO
Dave who makes those, need to get me a set and if those fit nice and they look great to me I think I am going to go with them.
I been dealing with three things on this car.
First the radiator support. I bought a new one repop thought it would be easier than blasting mine and mine had extra holes for stuff someone added like a alarm speaker etc. well it pretty much works but one bolt hole(the one on top for the middle bumper support bracket is way off. no way it will work at all. All rest are right. tested them all after finding this one. Must have been a friday or something cause the one thats off you could not even widen hole. So I ground off the welded on bolt on bottom and redrilled it and welded new nut on where it goes and will this weekend weld over the old hold and clean it up. not a huge deal. brackets all fit fine and now one can tell after. headlight buckets too, got repop ones thinking same thing easier. nope. the originals I got the adjuster bolts and plastic nut for them are way better. so I ended up cleaning up the stuff and blasting and repainting and its perfect on oem stuff. The repop buckets I got did not even fit the adjust screws that came with them. I could widen slots but I just went more work method and cleaned up oem. its very much way to go. Now the after market chrome ring for the headlights, this fit perfect and are made well. using them.
Second thing was exhaust. Been trying to get my welder out here and hes warning me, all stainless its gonna be time consuming. got to plug up ends and tig it with gas in middle. and it turns out the DSE headers point down like 15 degrees instead of straight back so its not just a straight shot. I am just going to take it to a pro.
https://www.facebook.com/ExhaustPros/about/?ref=page_internal
Those are the guys who will do the welding and fitting. setting up date to tow it there.
Last is the anvil rs front nose piece and the lower AMD valance panel. Fenders are OEM. no prob there. the valance parts mate up pretty good. soon as it gets back from exhaust I will work on fitting up Fuel line, electrical, getting it started for first time.
Here are some pics of exhaust as it stands right now.....
Last thing I finally got some anvil inner fenders ordered. these things are hard to buy. finally got hold of them and found out one pair is coming in in early jan and put my name on em. satin carbon inners.

Attachments

• DSE stainless header output flange.JPG
    DSE stainless header output flange.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Pypes (SGF15) tail pipes already mounted.JPG
    Pypes (SGF15) tail pipes already mounted.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 206
  • wideshot2.JPG
    wideshot2.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 183
  • Spintech 3000F mufflers.JPG
    Spintech 3000F mufflers.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 184

linenoise

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 17, 2000
CO
I did a mock up on the camaro 2 weeks ago. Anvil front RS panel fits well. Got new RS bumpers in and anvil matte inner fenders (did not test fit those yet). All looks good. felt good with prefit.
Took it all down. One thing has been killing me. on the DSE minitub 4 link rear I ran the baer brakes. I bought their EB cables. fit well but I ran em outside frame rails.
I got exhaust all tigged up. Got the gas tank and all in and it all fits. But I hate the EBrake lines going around the frame. When you jack it off the ground the cable it taunt. Hated it. muffler is close to it, not bad but now I am running brake and fuel lines which will push it over closer to muffler.
So I took the rear apart. Mainly for final stuff like adding in the DSE fuel door in trunk floor. Got all that done looks great.
I am starring at the brake cables hanging there drinking a beer. I measured for two hours. I took the leap. I drilled a 3/4" hole in the frame near rear anti sway bar weld in. long story short it all worked. I now have the Ebrake line going through the frame on one side and it was not that hard. Took it back out to clean up the hole, paint it etc.
This weekend I will be running lines(rear brake and fuel). lots of pics coming of all this work. I will not have exhaust back on by than but should have lines and ebrake stuff all done both sides hopefully. 3/4 hole is about 1mm bigger than the flange on ebrake cable.
So happy I did not chicken out on this. it was so hard to go forward not knowing if it would fit through the frame. Cable has plenty of slack and is totally clean when done this way.

linenoise

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 17, 2000
CO
OK finally got it all done.
Here is output. both sides completed. Took a while cause I was gonna use metal cover but I ended up using a grommet. 3/4 groove, 1' outside, no hole in middle. Than I used a hole punch on middle to make small hole and fitted it over line. Nice and tight fit. totally water proof. Lots of clearance. I did not plan on this, I just built both sides to DSE specs so you can do this too if you want. I also took a little longer and bent a new 3/8 fuel line and ran it next to brake line. Here is output.....

Attachments

• BRAKESLINES AND eb OUTPUT.JPG
    BRAKESLINES AND eb OUTPUT.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 175
  • rear emergency brake lines through frame post grommet.JPG
    rear emergency brake lines through frame post grommet.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 187
  • camaro EB lines pre grommet.JPG
    camaro EB lines pre grommet.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 180

linenoise

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 17, 2000
CO
throw a update out here. Worked alot on car last couple weeks.
1. got main electrical wires in. went 2 gauge. all premade.
2. got alt to starter done. used the powermaster cable premade with ends. 4 gauge.
3. found out my Texas speed engine did not come with a oil pressure sensor which I think is weird. came with all others. bought one for 40 bucks no big deal. Their harness has plug for it.
4. got all my power steering stuff hooked up with remote res.
5. filled t56 mag.
6. filled up my new jegs preoiler. pressured it up to 30 lbs. pressed in 4 quarts of oil. (filled oil filter first.)
so I am all happy, gas line all hooked up and pressure tested. about ready to test fire this thing finally. and I look next morning and there is oil puddle.
lift up lift and inspect. heart basically dropped. brand new never used t56 trans dripping in the tail extension to main body seam. not pouring but about a 2 inch wet spot and a big drip hanging off trans on that seam. Wipe it and check in a hour and its back. Not happy at all. read up. guess this is a rare but has happened. I bought this thing a year ago and its sat here in garage waiting. no warranty.
So I took it off the car. took the tail housing off. clean up the black stuff thats on there. micro thin comes off real easy. used some GM RTV sealant cause there is no gasket for this surface. spread it thin and used the stuff they said works best on forums where others have solved this same issue. stuff is thick and gummy.
put a tiny little bead around the surface and just smoothed it out and clean up any extra. nice and thin on both pieces. put it back together. torque to 26-27ishlbs.
let it dry for 24 hours with no fluid. than filled it up. been a day no leaks its good to go. Putting tranny back in this weekend. Be ready for start hopefully this weekend. (knock knock)

giggity

Veteran Member
Mar 18, 2013
Pearland, texas
Sucks when you spend a lot of money on something and its not right. Its better you found it now, rather than getting car on road and finding it leaking down the road!

linenoise

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 17, 2000
CO
Nice thanks guys on bumpers. I am almost there. My big push is to start this damn thing. Engine been sitting for over a year now. Need to hear it.
Last night me and my nephew were working on stuff, trying to route cables real clean, got some button head chrome screws for things like the ground to engine. Moving the power wire semi loosely on the starter it rotated and hit the start pole. Engine turned over a few times on accident and my nephew and I jumped not expecting it. Now I know start syncs with flywheel and turns engine :)
I will get this thing started this weekend I think. I will be posting video here. texas speed stroker 427 ls3 at 615hp.

Latest posts