1970 Camaro SS 396 L-34.

john Gialanella

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2008
Bloomfield N.J.
My SS 396 has headers on it, but I do have the correct exhaust manifolds. I have a complete set of all the parts for the TCS system but will leave them off when I sell it in the future. My question is on the passenger side cylinder head where the TCS temperature gauge goes is a plug. A few years ago i went to a gas station to see if he could unscrew the plug, so I can install the TCS temp gauge. He was reluctant to do it because he said it could crack the cylinder head. I have PB blaster spray that is suppose to work. But have not tried it. I am wondering if when I take it out for 20-mile drive it would expand the metal and then spray the PB blaster if it would work. Has anybody out there had this problem and fixed it.
Thanks John.

72SS9681

Veteran Member
Jul 20, 2014
Walla Walla, WA
I have an aftermarket temp sender in mine. I tried to remove the drivers side cast iron plug with an impact gun (a small gun i.e. not very powerful) and it didn't budge. I don't think heat and PB blaster will make a difference. I'm inclined to agree with your gas station guy I wouldn't mess with it.

rotinrob

Veteran Member
Oct 2, 2018
This is best to do with the head off. Get a candle and heat the area around the plug with a torch when hot melt the wax from the candle into the thread. Let it set awhile and it should come out if not reheat and the plug should come right out. The wax wicks into the threads and lubricates it.

rotin

john Gialanella

Veteran Member
Oct 15, 2008
Bloomfield N.J.
Thanks to both of you for responses. Rotin I do not want to take off the cylinder head, so maybe I will leave it alone. When I sell the Camaro in the future, I will include the TCS parts and new owner can decide what he wants to do.
John.

Latest posts