1970 Camaro SS. Crate motor

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by stafs05, Apr 22, 2020.

1. stafs05

stafs05 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hello members
    I would like to ask for some advise. I was informed the my engine that is original to my SS, is cracked. So I bought a CE block and took it to the machine by me. It will need to be bored .60 over. Which I was told .60 is the maxium that it could be bored if something happens, I would have to start over. Taken that in consideration, the engine to be machined and rebuilt would cost 3000.
    So now for the question has anyone used a crate motor? Im looking at Jegs 350 crate motor with 300hp, or 330hp. Does anyone have any opinion, on these motors? Does it matter to purchase it from Jegs, or should I look at chevy dealer ship for a crate motor? Thank you for your time. Shawn

2. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

FWIW, my '70 has had a CE block in it since I bought the car in 1998. About ten years ago I had it rebuilt and beefed up, but the machinist after checking it over told me he needed to re-bore it as it had already been bored once, and wasn't done properly. He needed to bore it 0.60 in order to rebuild it, but assured me that would be fine. The only thing I had to do first, was take it to another shop that had the ability to 'sonic' test the cylinder walls to see if there was enough thickness everywhere to accept the overbore. I upgraded the pistons, valves, cam, rockers etc and have never had a problem with it. My main concern was over heating, which has never been an issue.

Bottom line, 0.60 is fine if the cylinder walls aren't screwed up with a previously bad bore job. $3000 around here is the minimum you'd pay for what you're talking about. Mine with the upgrades (I had the machine shop order/supply/install all the parts) was around $4000.

I've never bought a crate engine, so can't answer that, but I expect you'll spend about the same whether you rebuild what you have, or buy a new crate motor.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  3. stafs05

Thank you taking the time, and given your experience. Shawn

4. ULTM8Z

ULTM8Z Veteran Member

I'd probably look at GM for a crate motor. I bought my ZZ4 back in 1999 and its still going strong... as good as the day I bought it.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If the block is that important to you, there is an option to sleeve the cylinder bores FWIW....

I personally used the Year One 400hp crate 355. I was very satisfied with it, especially the price. It was a 1 piece seal roller cam engine with ported vortec heads. It also had a warranty...personally I think GM charges too much for their crates.

6. Z28zz383

Z28zz383 Veteran Member

Good time to add some hp to the old car. Lot of people like the year one 400 hp engine. Good price too. I have a gmpp ZZ 383 crate engine and it has been a good performer and very reliable for 5+ years. I agree the chevy crates are expensive. You roll the dice and take your chances with whatever choice you make.

7. stafs05

Thank you for everyone experience, and advice.

8. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

I also would vote for a GM crate motor as they come with a warranty.

9. BluePrint

BluePrint New Member Lifetime Gold Member

BluePrint Engines offers 30 month, 50K mile warranty engines. All dyno tested. Ready to drop in.

Not sure of forum rules, so won't post a # or website, but we're not hard to find. happy to talk any time!

10. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 70 Z28 has had a CE engine since day 1 when the original owner bought it. He had it refreshed once and I had it rebuilt in ‘85 and again in 2012. I did want to go with a Chevy crate engine the last time around but the GM Parts Manager couldn’t tell me what I would need or wouldn’t need from my OEM engine to make it work, such as the flywheel, starter, bell housing and clutch kit. So I went with the rebuild. I didn’t want to start buying more parts and spending more $ to make a crate engine driveable cause the crate engine was pricy enough.