1970 camaro z28 350 or ls3

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by phil's 1970, Mar 18, 2021.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

But with 5 and 6 speeds with the low RPM’s on the highway, wouldn’t you see your plugs fouling up since they wouldn’t reach self cleaning temperatures?

2. Buddy70z28

Buddy70z28 New Member

Forget about the LS3 keep it original because if you ever decide to sell it the price will be far greater for an all original car. Unless you are like some people that money means nothing to them and they will spend $100k or more on a restomod so they can sell it for a huge loss when they are done trashing the car at the autocross. Such a waste of money and time in my opinion!

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

X2^^ I have the new TR6060 in my 72Z behind my 540hp 350 SBC with 3.73's, love it....nobody knows the difference, chrome shifter handle and white ball shifter, just 2 extra gears to use.

72BIGBLOCK and Bentley like this.
  4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Nope, not if you have the right plugs and a properly calibrated/tuned carb with the correct timing curve. I drove all weekend and yesterday afternoon, 2,200-2,300 most of the day, plugs are great. And 21 MPG's to boot.

Z-Life likes this.
  5. dickeymoore

dickeymoore Member

Forget the LS keep it old-school you will be happier if you ever have cranking problems or other engine problems,you want have to worry about taking it back to the person who tuned the LS and he can't get to your car until 2 weeks!!!!!

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Some of these post are funny! At the end of the day people can do whatever they want. Yes, they are not building 70 Camaros anymore, but who cares. You only get to enjoy the car for so many decades, so don’t let people tell you how they want it, do it how you want it. I don’t know how people can say “ah too many LS swaps”...it wasn’t too long ago it was “ah too many LT/TPI swaps”....I actually found it boring to see SBCs in everything.
    Take twozs car as an example, now that he’s gone...the car is changing hands. He had the car the way he liked it, someone else is going to make it their own now.

72BIGBLOCK and 70_half like this.
  7. Bentley

Bentley Member

I would
    And this is why we find SO MANY horrible abominations in what were really cool cars.. Again, you want modern, go buy a new one..

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If I was to buy a new car from one of the Big 3, it would be a Challenger.

badazz81z28 likes this.
  9. Bentley

Bentley Member

I have NEVER liked Mustangs ( I am 66) until the new model, really like them now.. I almost ordered one a year or so ago.... A 3 pedal convertible Mustang would be a great car/cruiser....

10. FooFighter

FooFighter Member Gold Member

If you want something that leaks oil, blows smoke, throws rods and spins bearings then keep it original. If you want something that is super fun to drive, spins up to 7 grand, takes a beating all day long and comes back for more, then put an LS in it. I've had 8 small block chevys and I am done with them. Time for the next level, LS. In the long run, your car will be worth more to keep it original, but the difference between having an LS in it or the original engine is negligible in regard to value. These are NOT rare cars. They will never be grail cars. Keep it original and you might sell it for a few grand more in the far off future. Just keep the original parts and if the day ever comes to sell the car, then put it back original or add the original parts with the deal. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing an original car, and I hope I keep seeing them. At the same time I like the creativity and badassedness people have come up with resto modding or just plain modding these cars. There were so many of these cars built that they were practically meant to be modded. Personally I think if you are going to mod a camaro the best choice would be a berlinetta or Type LT as they were low horsepower cars and nobody cares about them anyway. You can get those cheap and mod away. Make it look like a Z or SS and put whatever you want in it, and nobody will care. If you already have a Z or SS and you want to mod it, then I'm ok with that too. Sometimes a mod looks like complete crap, but its not my car so its not my problem. I modded my Z with an LS and never looked back. I enjoy having ICE cold AC from my vintage air, Over drive so the engine doesn't explode, blowing the doors off of new corvettes while the owners turn red and slap their steering wheel, and driving to California and back without having to worry about what is going to break or fall off if it were a 350, 383, 400, 454, or etc.... Plus I'll put a 150,000 miles on this engine where the original engine might make it to 80,000 (if you baby it). Well I don't plan on Babying mine, I'm gonna burn some rubber and put it on the floor whenever I can. People say original will be worth more in future, and they are right. I'm not arguing that point. But I don't plan on selling my car, I'll keep it til I die, after that it won't matter what it is or was. If you are worried about lowering the value of the car, then modding is not for you. I hope to see Mods and All original. If this were a 1963 split window corvette then HELL NO, don't mod it, but its not, so have some fun with it I say.