1970 Chevelle

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Camaro_73, Mar 12, 2018.

1. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Veteran Member

2. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Thanks. Not sure why I haven't looked on there, I've looked everywhere else. The cheapest I've found is a complete AMD pan with braces but not sure if it comes with rockers but I don't think I need them? Not sure as I haven't looked under there. But its $540 on Summit and I can go pick it up 2 hours from me in their new store they built here in Tx. Shipping is over $100 anywhere else I see it. So im just going to go pcik one up.

Decided im just going to replace the floor (the guys charging me $400 for labor) then from there ill do engine/trans/suspension/brakes/wheels/interior

3. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Well picked up what is HOPEFULLY the last engine for the Chevelle to get it on the road. Just a stock 6.0 long block. Only paid $600 for it which in Tx is a smokin deal. I already have a complete used carb kit ready to buy to go on it. Then ill just have to decide what trans to go with. Either a TH350 or 700r4. Would like a 700r4 but im being cheap and buying all used stuff and I really don't trust a used 700r4 that I cant test drive first. Very weak transmissions in stock form. But we'll see.

And if you've followed along you know that the next thing is cleaning the engine lol.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

72BIGBLOCK and Peck like this.
  4. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Drove up to Summit Racings new store here in Arlington, Tx. Its the biggest one they have. 7,000 square feet. Most of that is for the parts storage and maybe an 8th is the actual front of the store where you see all the product and what they have. Was a cool place but I had to get my floor pan and go before $600 turned into a $1000 trip lol. Should have taken some pics but I was busy dealing with getting the floor pan home. It was 2 inches to wide to go into our 2005 Tahoe so I had to strap it down on the roof racks but of course I had to go back and fourth into the store to get the right ratchet straps as I didn't go prepared like I usually do on trips. But its here and hopefully ill be able to get it to the body guy to install this week.

[​IMG]

72BIGBLOCK likes this.
  5. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Just wanted to share some pics of the floor pan. I've never bought anything body or floor related so im just speaking off of what I see but this pan is well built and well constructed. It came with braces and inner rockers for only $584 total. That's a lot of money but its almost $300 cheaper then it sells for on AMDs actual site? Not sure why that its. I bought it from Summit so they must get good deals on it? Either way im very happy with it and its definitely money well spent given the shape the floor pan that's in the car is in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Received what I need to get the engine running today. Would you believe me if I told you I only paid $550 shipped (used of course) for the whole set up? If youre not familiar with LS stuff or just LS carb stuff, the intake alone goes for $350 new. The MSD box is $385, and well a carb varies depending on its condition but I think we agree a used 750 holley Dp goes for $200? maybe more maybe less depending on the sellers price. But either way $550 was an absolute steal. Its also nice when the seller wraps the stuff up as well and sturdy as this guy did.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Also took the Chevelle to get the floor put in. Of course I don't have a truck to sale at the moment so the Tahoe is the parts picker upper and the tow pig. When I went up to Summit Racing and got the floor pan I figured "ya, the floor pan will definitely fit back here". Summit guy brings out the floor pan. Me "ya, theres no way its fitting back there" lol. So I now know how to get a floor pan wherever I need it to go when in a Tahoe lol. But anyways I should have the car back in a week.

[​IMG]

72BIGBLOCK likes this.
  8. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Good job
    Glad to see the project is moving along
    Finish it !

9. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Oh, ya. Im bound and determined to get it on the road now. And it helps when you actually have a good chunk of change to put into it rather then a little bit here and a little bit there. Once it comes back from getting the floor put in then ill start looking for a trans and get the rest of whats needed to get its running when I sell a truck.

10. dutch73camaro

dutch73camaro Veteran Member

my advice is do first de body and paint. other wise the project is going very slow.

when you have an nice and painted body, you also get the drive to finish it.
    instead of an cold and rusty metal shell.