1970 Chevelle

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Camaro_73, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Honestly paint and body will be the very last thing i do. Especially since it'll be the most expensive in one lump sum. Im also "younger" (26) so i don't come from the era of when you could buy these cars for $900 in perfect shape. So all the old schools i've owned have been "ratty" and i've grown to like them that way so this one will stay the way it is unless i just do a simple sand and primer job. But if i had to choose a color possibly the real dark green that almost looks black or a dark blue

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry but the truth is, they were not selling for $900 bucks in perfect shape.
    Whoever told you that is BS'n you. When I was buying them in 1973, they were $3000.00.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  3. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Well i guess i was over exagerating but i've heard plenty of stories of guys getting them for low $1000s but when i said $900 i was talking about what they wen't for in the early 90's from what i've heard. But either way they were a lot cheaper before 2010 then they are now lol

4. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

The first 2 pics are my first Chevelle i bought when i was 19 in 2011. Then i was brand new to working on cars and knew almost nothing. At the time i think my dad was more excited then i was cause he agreed to work on it with me. Well i wanted to learn how to put in an engine and transmission and get it running etc. so that i could learn. Well my dad took it upon himself to get it going within a week of me buying it and i learned next to nothing. I sold it when i was 20 when i found another one on CL with a much better body. The blue one was my 2nd one. All it needed was a carburetor on the engine that was in it to get it going. Well me being young and dumb said to myself "no im going to put a higher HP motor in it and get it going in a week again" long story short that didn't happen lol. I also thought my dad would help me this time and he said "nope, youre on your own". So this was the car where i learned and taught myself how to work on cars. It took me a year to get it running and driving. Then i sold it 3 months later when 3/4th gear went out on me in the 700r4 because i didn't know you were supposed to hook up a TV cable to keep it from burning itself up... Id give anything to have the blue one back and i may paint my new one the same blue color later on down the road. Now im on the 3rd Chevelle and know that its going to take $$ and time and im very excited...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. brooksman9

brooksman9 Veteran Member

$$ and time...yup. Lol. Wish we still had the one we bought for my son when he was 16. Just a little 307 car but it was still pretty nice. Green on green.

6. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

The very first thing im doing is getting the bonded title. Then after that will come progress pics of replacing front end parts.

7. olstyle

olstyle Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great project, subscribed.

8. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Well i got the bonded title done. I've always heard it was easy but i didn't think this easy. Paid someone $280 to do the footwork and paperwork along with them getting the bond then i just paid $63 at the tax office for the bonded title. Im definitely going to start getting vehicles with no titles more often. Its funny how people in Tx are afraid to buy a vehicle with no title.

Anyways now i need to buy and sell some trucks so i can spend money on the money pit. Not sure what im going to do first. I need to replace the floor because the trans tunnel is so cut up and hacked on but i really want to get it running first so im leaning towards starting the LS swap... Hmmmm, decisions decisions.

9. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

I beg to differ. You were buying them when still relatively new.

My first car was a rust free 70 Chevelle SS 396. No motor in it and in primer. Paid $400 for it and bought two more big block parts cars (for misc. interior pieces and the 4 speed trans in them) the same week for an additional $600. All 3 were rust free but had minor damage on the front ends.
    They were literally a dime a dozen in 1980 in this area.

Sold it and bought a 70 Nova SS 350/300hp 4 speed car. All original numbers matching everything. Paid $1200 for it in 82. Kept that one for a few years!
    Location, Location, Location.. and it helped that my brother worked for a towing company.

Nice car though OP, Good Luck with it!

10. Camaro_73

Camaro_73 Veteran Member

Ya must have been nice lol. Now you can't get a rust bucket with a clean title for less than like 5k in Texas