1970 Gas Cap

jondebo

Veteran Member
Jul 27, 2010
Hayward, CA
I finally lost my gas cap the other day (left it on the pump). It was almost 5 years so not bad. Anyone know what the measurements are for the short collar and long collar gas caps for a 1970 CA car? It's a stock tank in a CA car that I removed all of the emmissions parts from. The flare on the outer part of the filler neck is approx. 0.75" deep and the inside catch is about 0.25" deep. I had a vented cap on there before. I'm tempted to just buy all of the available factory style caps and see what fits but trying to be "reasonable" with my ex-wife (my camaro) spending.
20220806_134548.jpg

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Here’s a link which shows what you need for a replacement.

jondebo

Veteran Member
Jul 27, 2010
Hayward, CA
Here’s a link which shows what you need for a replacement.

I'm not so concerned with getting a concourse correct gas cap as much as I am with getting one that is functional for my current tank. Specifically, I see that there is a short collar and deep collar gas cap depending on which filler neck the tank has. This is what I'm trying to determine: Do I buy the short collar cap or the long collar cap, also known as deep shank or short shank?

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
Not any of my business but that’s a first about an Ex Wife telling you what you can and can’t do. I know what I would tell my Ex. GFY.

jondebo

Veteran Member
Jul 27, 2010
Hayward, CA
Not any of my business but that’s a first about an Ex Wife telling you what you can and can’t do. I know what I would tell my Ex. GFY.
I refer to my camaro as my ex-wife. Sexy, expensive, but I never get to take her for a ride. Not that I like referring to my car as a specific gender. I think that's silly, it's an inanimate object. Still, ex-wife seems like a good descriptor of my Camaro.

67johnny

Veteran Member
Apr 14, 2016
vancouver
Dont know how much gas theft you guys see down in CA but... Stant makes a good locking unit and it takes the risk of theft or fuel tampering away instantly!:bowtie:

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
I bought a locking gas cap back in the early 80’s from Canadian Tire, works good when I feel like using it.
33239F44-7222-4105-BA4D-9650C04FFDF3.jpeg
80901BBA-4EA5-4571-A8D6-CD5AC9B5019C.jpeg

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
I'm pretty sure the actual vented cap is a short shank cap. The non-vented cap for the later models with vapor recovery is a long shank. My vented cap barely catches on a later tank.

70 SS/L78

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 5, 2005
Rockford, MN
Original 1970 CA emmision cars had a non-vented cap so guessing the CA emmision stuff is no longer in use if you're using a vented cap. In 1971 the Camaro went to a non-vented cap.

These caps aren't assembly line correct but instead the 2nd design GM replacement cap, which is the next best thing. Difference being the later caps have the 2 ears whereas originals had no ears.

Both of these caps are the same thing. These are actually produced by Stant, not GM. Stant produced them for GM.

Latest posts