1970 L34 Fan Shroud Value

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by badazz81z28, Jul 25, 2021.

1. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

2. 72BIGBLOCK

72BIGBLOCK Veteran Member

Wow! I hope not.

3. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

When I started the discussion about the L-34 BB Fan Shroud, I was just hoping some of these guys realize the prices they charge. I know it is a free country, but If it was me I cannot charge way more then most likely what I paid. Some sellers try to sell parts for 10 times what they paid. I just could not do that. Since this is not on the post for that shroud I hope this is not removed. If it is then I am sorry.
    John.

4. l16pilot

l16pilot Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The repops are poorly done, so for someone restoring a 70-72 big block car, the repop just won't cut it. I've seen NOS shrouds occassionally trade for +$2k, but those are perfect. I saw the post for the used unit, but without pics, it's hard to place a value on it.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Mayor of Simpleton Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Well John, I would encourage you to reflect on the idea you're not the judge of the value of everything. While I encourage you to sell your stuff for what ever you want I would also think you could respect the idea of a free market. If the price is too high people won't buy it. Price fixing is un-American. If wing nuts are flying off the shelf at $3000, then the value of the wing nut IS $3000, if a Corvette wont sell for more than $3 then the value of that Corvette IS $3. It's just economics, no need to continually be the price police. As long as it's described correctly and the buyer gets what was advertised there is no need to interfere with a swap meet thread, it's against the rules.

Dave Nelson and newtodu06 like this.
  6. newtodu06

newtodu06 Member

My two cents: You may want to search for the item on ebay using ebay's 'sold item' filter. That will give you an idea of what they're going for in the auction/open market. I do agree that repop parts often do not fit properly, you just have to do your homework by reading the reviews for that specific part before you buy.

7. rotinrob

rotinrob Veteran Member

The repops are crap and not worth anything, I have one taking up valuable space on my wall that could be put to better use. I would wager my repop shroud that if the repops were made better used GM shrouds would sell for a more reasonable amount. If my original shroud wasn't in as good of shape as it is I would have went electric or paid what the seller wants for a used shroud. Look at the price of the fan for these shrouds now that's ridiculous since the fan is somewhat common (and the repops are decent) it's the fan clutch that's the hard part to find (once again the repops are decent but universal). A part, any part is only worth the price that the seller and buyer agree to and I have paid more than I would have liked on many date code correct parts.

rotin

Dave Nelson likes this.
  8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

What's wrong with the repops? I can't imagine a shroud being too difficult.

9. rotinrob

rotinrob Veteran Member

They just plain don't fit right. They are way too thick, the molding is poor (edges are radiused) and the reinforcement webs are wrong. One would think the guy paying for the tool would of said no way but the tool was released as is and in my opinion is unusable. They could be made to work with some grinding if you need one that bad. If I didn't have a decent original I would have went with electric fans rather than put the repop on. I believe someone posted a side by side critic on a post.
    To add to my post on fans the standard fan on a L34 402 weren't clutch fans they are four blade fans that look like they came from a 6 cylinder.

rotin

10. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

You members who say that the repop's do not fit must be buying from a different vendor. When I owned my 1970 SS 396 L-78 like a said the original fan shroud had a cut about 2 inches long with no missing pieces. I glued it, but I bought a repro BB fan shroud and it fit perfectly. The only problem is it is a little different then original. Those fins are much shorter then originals and the material it is made of is different. But other then that it worked OK. I few years later I bought a nice used one from D & R classic automotive for $400.00. When I sold the L-78 to Chuck Sharin I put the original one back on. And sold the used one from D&R to Joey Gray. I did sell the repro, but I forgot to who.
    John.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2021